Cam sensor location?????

Hi, a buddy of mine has a 1998 wrangler 4.0 stick. the check engine light is not on but he had the codes pulled by autozone due to a random no start. The code reader says CAM POS sensor So I presume that is the camshaft position sensor. My question is, Where is this. I googled it and came up with either in the block under the distributor at the oil pump, and inside the distributer. Which one is it Thanks Steve

Reply to
seeray28(steve)

It is inside the distributor

Reply to
billy ray

Great, THANK YOU. now another question. is the dealer the only place to get one since autozone and advanced dont carry it?

Reply to
seeray28(steve)

Steve, I've never needed to buy one, you might try calling NAPA but unless we get someone else jumping in here with the answer you may have to go to a dealer parts department.

If this is a second car there are online dealerships where you can get discount price.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
seeray28(steve)

Reply to
philthy

For a 93 ZJ but probably close enough to get you going.

covers removing the distributorwhich you have to do to get at the stator. A very light writeup I did. Haven't got around to doing a web page.

DougW