Transmission matchup??

Along with my previous post about a body swap for my YJ, what I'm trying to do is upgrade my 4cyl to a 4.0 or 4.2 6cyl. I have a 5 speed AX-15 tranny I just installed new a few months ago that I want to keep. If I buy a used jeep (YJ or Cherokee) with a 6 cyl automatic, will my bell housing fit the 6 cyl? What tranny comes on a Cherokee with a manual 5 spd? Or is it even available with a 5 spd? Does the 6 cyl use the same AX-15 tranny? Which engine would you recommend, the 4.0 or 4.2? I've heard of vacuum issues and idling problems related to the

4.2. I've done some "googling" but haven't really found much information.

All help is greatly appreciated!! Marty

Reply to
Marty

Marty,

I THINK the 5 speed used in the XJ is a AX-15, I've got a Cherokee with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. I really doubt the bell housings are the same between a stick and automatic, among other things the stick bell needs to have provision for a clutch.

Personally I'd go with the 4.0, it has more power, should get at least as good gas mileage, and as you say it doesn't have the carb/vacuum problems of the 4.2.

Jeff DeWitt

Marty wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

The 5spd in the XJ used untill 90ish was the Peugot BA/10. This transmission is garbage.

Carl

Reply to
Carl