shifting problem with automatic

I am considering buying a 02 tacoma 6cyl with 4 wheel drive (TRD) automatic. I took it to a toyota dealer and it checked out ok,except for a shifting issue. Shifting seems to be sticky. It doesn't shift until rpm's are up around 3000, and sometimes 4000 for third gear. First and second gears are better than third. It shifts at about 25mph, 45, and 65. It downshifts as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator. The dealer said it can be driven without harming the engine, but that it definitely shifts at a higher rpm than normal. Dealer said it might be valve body. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Reply to
scottydog

a dealer is trying to sell you one in that condition? whatever's wrong won't be cheap or they would have already done it.

Reply to
JeB

Wait a minnit. If you had the gas pedal right on the rug during this run, than those might be the proper shift points. As for the downshift when under closed throttle, presumeably after or during the aforementioned WFO run. Normally it would upshift during this manuver unless you had run out of gears. I can't come up with any situation except manually downshifting to do that.

Preacher

Reply to
Dale Larson