WARNING! About Antifreeze AND '50/50 premix'!!

Well, since I have seen 'prestone' and others selling the 50/50 premix in the stores and I have lately seen blown radiators, literally burned up fan belts and chewed up water pumps, blown heater cores, and broke engines.....

I do live in Canada where we have cold days.....

So here is how a radiator flush works. You run water through everything with the rad drain and 'hopefully' the engine block drain (although 99% of the places that flush don't open the engine drain!) and the heater hoses off so you can flush out the heater core, then you put it all back closed and want to fill it.......

Before I go on, I will bet a beer if I could see you that when you open the 10 year old engine block drain it will need to be reamed with a coat hanger to get the liquid to flow out clear running with the hose input..... There will be a bunch of metal/rust flakes plugging things up...

OK, so you now have flushed it out.

You then need to know how many quarts or liters the coolant system holds.

My system holds 12 US quarts.

So if I go by the coolant makers charts, as an average, a 50/50 mix is good for -35F to -38F or so, right.

I just flushed my Jeep's system and want -58F or at least -40C/F so according to the charts I need 7 out of 12 quarts to do that.

When I add 7 quarts of pure coolant, the add water, I only can add 2 or

3 more quarts of water!

That means 30 or 40% of the system is already full of water. The heater core and block.

If I used the 50/50 mix, with 'say' 50% of the water still in there, just for easy numbers, the percentage of coolant will be seriously low allowing the vehicle to freeze and destroy the rads and engine......

Be 'REALLY' careful with the 'convenient' junk folks!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

Agreed Mike. I'd use it as a handy bottle for topping off the coolant overflow tank and that's about it.

Reply to
Rich

Wonder what's in it, besides water? There was thread a while back where we discussed ethylene glycol, organic acid technology, universal replacement antifreeze, and plots by tree-huggers to erode our cooling systems, as they have already eroded our morals and our culture.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

You see a lot of 'tree-hugger' comments in groups frequented by outdoorsey types, always used derisively.

All the tree-huggers I know live in the big city, and don't own a single tree. That must be what makes them experts on nature!

I guess that's the difference between a nature lover and an environmentalist.

Reply to
yjarray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You make a very good point Mike.

If I carry anything with me its a gallon of 1/2+1/2 (more like 2/3+1/3 water) that I mixed. I always use the pure stuff and mix with water. I make sure the shop does to on those rare times I have them flush the coolant - but, I also know I can trust Tony to do it right, its not like I am taking it to the dealer...

Reply to
jbjeep

And have you noticed that the price is NOT half of the full strength price?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It is the new math

Reply to
LooseWheel

Of course it isn't. Here is why:

We all know water is "free" right?

That means that for an $8 gallon of straight anti-freeze, you are paying $2 for the contents of the jug, and $6 for the jug.

That is how they come up with $7 for a gallon of 50/50 mix.

$6 for the jug $1 for the 1/2 gal. of anti-freeze $0 for the water = $7

Of course this is in humor, but the math does work ;-)

Chris

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The same place you buy the $6 empty jug Bill.

Now in that $6 they are including the labeling which has to be approved by a shyster err.. attorney to make sure there are disclaimers for all the lies contained therein.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III