Tyre Pressures for BFGOODRICH

Hiya all,

I have just bought six new tyres BF GOODRICH 235/85 R16 They are All Terrain T\A. They were not cheap and I think my poor credit card nearly melted. Anyway the garage have inflated them all to 28 psi.

The vehicle is Defender 110 CSW 2.5TDI, 1991 UK Specification.

I will be carrying a lot of weight at the back and have upgraded to heavy duty springs and shockers.

What PSI should I inflate the front and back to? Main driving is on tarmac and ocassionally sand and dirt roads. Sometimes deep sand (I suspect I will need to deflate the tyres for this).

Happy New Year

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

6? 4x6 or 6x6?
Reply to
JacobH

Hiya,

No it is normal four wheels. I have two spares.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

I run these BF GOODRICH 235/85 R16 AT on a Defender 90.

They do look too soft at 28psi! I use 30psi on front and 35psi on rear. If I am towing then I boost the rears up to 38psi.

This seems to work for me, but Landrover say you must follow the instructions in the handbook re tyre size and pressure!

No doubt there are insurance implications :(

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Tightbeat

LOL - what's a handbook?

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:56:49 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

bunch of w*nkers.

I'd go with 36 front and probably 40 or 42 rear, for road use, depending on weight carried. Running light, you'd want about 34 all round, I expect.

Note that the book probably tells you 28 for the front. It does that for the disco. The disco has a reputation for edging front tyres. On mine, the last set of tyres I ran from new to worn-out on the disco were run at 36 front (235/70R16) and they wore flat and even down to almost minimum legal tread when I replaced 'em, and they weren't rotated with the rears, either.

The only downside I can see from running higher front pressure is that the ride is slightly harder. I wish I'd taken pictures of that set of tyres now... the wear pattern was as near to spot-on as you'd get on front wheels that steer and drive and brake.

soft sand, you want flotation, so yes, lower pressures and keep the speed down. Same goes for any soft stuff, really.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Austin, that's not like you...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:21:58 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

moi?

Mind, the minibus goes faster with my new ram-air inlet in place. Made from a £1.74 funnel, a bit of spare heater ducting and a certain amount of insulting tape to hold it all together.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Had mine since new ( 110 csw 1997 ) on BF as yours and after searching around have run mine on 28/ 35 light load and 35/ 40 heavy load ever since. No uneven wear and lasted about 65k miles

Reply to
Hirsty's

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

You haven't forgotten to put RAM AIR SYSTEM on the sides in large italic caps, have you?

After all, there's no point unless everyone knows.

Like those open-topped cars with CABRIOLET written on the sides in foot-high pink cursive script. Oh really? Thanks for letting me know. I should have guessed. The black cloth roof ought to have been a clue.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:06:32 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. 's a thought. 'course, what I need now is a turbo *and* a ram-air system, then I can put "TURBO RAM AIR SYSTEM"...

I might try and fake some of those warning stickers they have for jet engine air intakes to put on the grille.

Joking aside... I took it out in daylight so as to watch the exhaust - going up hill in 5th, full boot at about 45-50, there's definitely less smoke and more torque. There's also less smoke in 4th, and still I think a bit more go. On the flat(ish) it'll do 70 with more alacrity than was previously the case.

What's more interesting is there appears to be an improvment at 20-30 mph on the back roads, in that it seems willing to pull higher gears more of the time. I can judge more accurately after the X-thing holidays, when I get back on the regular run - will see if it'll pull various gear-speed critical bits either more easily or in a higher gear.

My rough calculations indicated that at 2200 revs, the air in the inlet tract is doing about 60 kph. Now on the small roads, I'm more likely to be doing 40 kph or even less. The funnel is something like 2:1 on diameter,so theoretically 4:1 on area - but I'd be amazed if the actual boost in inlet pressure is more than about x1.5. I did contemplate fitting a gauge to the manifold, if I can find one which does both vacuum and boost (or, I suppose,

2 gauges). Then I could compare the figures at different road speeds.
Reply to
Austin Shackles