2" Lift ?'s

Decided to put the teraflex 2" lift on my 04 wrangler and was wondering:

  1. Is the drop pitman arm needed?
  2. The Transfer case spacers needed.
3.How much will the 2" mess up the alignment?
  1. I am going to go with 32x11.50x15 tires on the Mickey Thompson Classic II wheels. They should fit ok right? Not sure what the backspacing is for those wheels but I am assuming that since they are listed for the 04 they will be correct, anybody know for sure?
  2. Can I use the stock shocks and if not how do I find out how long I need the replacements to be?

Thanks

Reply to
Intergate

NO.

There is a really good chance you won't need it...I'd wait until you drive it a bit to really tell.

Enough to re-set the toe.

Your BS should be from 4.5" to 3.75". Some people go as far as 3.5", but I think that's too far.

Not if you're going off road. Check with Tera for the proper size for their lifts.

Reply to
twaldron

Another ?.

Would I be better off with 10" wheels versus 8" with this size tire? It would just fatten it up a bit I assume. Also the wheels I am looking at are 3 5/8 backspace. Does anybody know how far out of the fenders this backspace would put the tires?

Thanks again

Reply to
Intergate

What would be better 32x11.50 or 31x10.5 15's as far as sticking out of fenders. I also want to consider how they will fill the wheel wells with a

2" lift

Trying to understand how the 10.5-11.5-12.5 relates to tire width.

Thanks

Reply to
Intergate

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

Why do you think you need to change your rims?

I like my 1986 stock Laredo chrome 7" rims and they fit up to an 11.5" 'wide' tire without an issue. Some folks even use them for 12.5's.

On a TJ, you have back space issues with rims so you have to get the right ones. If wrong, the tires just plain won't fit on, they will hit.

Rubbing when turning is an easy fix. You just add washer(s) to the steering stop bolt.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

How far do you think the 32's will stick out with the stock fender flares?

Reply to
Intergate

My 33's fit my stock fender flares exactly.

Mike

Mike Romain

The 32x11.50 that will stick out 1/2" further than your 31x10.50s do now, if you put them on the same 7" factory wheels. It's the backspacing of your NEW 8" wheels that will push the tire out further. Anything you buy aftermarket will stick out further. If your factory wheel is 5.5" BS and your new wheels are 3 5/8" BS, your new wheels will stick out almost

2" further. If this bothers you, go with wheels that have 4.5" BS. Otherwise, get some new, larger flares.
Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

I will bet my 33's would mate up perfect to a TJ's stock flares and stock rims with enough lift to clear them just like on mine too.

Mike

twaldr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
twaldron

Ahhh, you finally caught on!

I was trying to make that point seeing as others have already told him it is the 9.5 or 11.5 that makes the difference, not the height of 31,

32 or 33".

I really like the 'stock' look on Jeeps with the tall skinny matching up to the factory flares.

A TJ properly set up will match the flare to the tire too.

I especially like the good traction from that setup. (the military still use tall skinny on their 'Jeeps' or Iltis jeep wannabes for good reason)

I went from being totally unsafe on the road in any snow over 40 mph with 10.5's to being able to follow the transport trucks at 60 mph in 4" of snow with the 3" on the tread narrower 9.5's.

Mike

twaldr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I am trying to buy some wheels online. Most barely list backspace, none list offset. Most backspace I have found so far is 4". any suggestions on 4.5" backspace wheels and where to get them.

Also with that much backspace will they slip right on without any other mods and not have me worry about hitting on something inside, turning especially.

Reply to
Intergate

Hey! I may be a little slow, but I'm consistent! I still think you have the advantage with a "stock look" on a CJ. My Rubicon came with 5.0" BS and 10.50" tires from the factory and they reach the edge of the 4" factory flares (which are wider than the std. TJ flares). Any increase in tire width or BS puts the tire outside the flare.

I agree with you > Ahhh, you finally caught on!

Reply to
twaldron

I have a TJ and am now running tyres which would equate to 32x10.50 on stock wheels and they don't stick out at all. In fact they are just perfectly in line with the stock fender flare line. If the tyres were any wider, they would stick out IMHO.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

Reply to
TW

Reply to
twaldron

I think the designers have it figured what size the best footprint size is for the vehicle's all around performance and sets the rims and flares that size.

The TJ is about 1000 lb heavier than a CJ, so one size wider on tire would likely give the same psi on the ground patch. The area of best traction.

It works for me. I am pushing the width on the Cherokee going to 235's and noticed the reduced traction.

Besides, it spits rocks all over the freaking place!

With the 10.5's I used to have on the roll bar beside my head would go spanggggg! wayyy too many times. Hardly happens now.

Mike

TW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain