Unstable fuel gauge - XJ

Have 'bouncing' unstable fuel gauge in 86 XJ. When vehicle is not moving all is stable, when moving gauge needle bounces - all over the place. Whats the 'problem' - gauge or sending unit? thanks

Reply to
Rich Hampel

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanx .....

I DO have a 'problem' in my firewall disconnect plug ... just about everything else is bypassed ... so one more wont be a problem. Will check the grounds first.

Thanx again.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I wasn't aware that Jeep's were ever built with properly functioning gas guages ...at least not any of the ones I've owned/ridden in. I always just assume that after 300km, I had better get myself to a gas station. If my odo ever breaks, I'm screwed.

Reply to
griffin

Just stop at every gas station you see, you will probably need fuel anyway!

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Nahhhh. I run a 2.8L with a leaned out Vari-Jet carb, crane 'higher' lift cam. higher pressure in the tires and 'opened' orfice EGR and get 22+ mpg at highway speeds. Not bad for an XJ.

Body's got 340K miles. The only thing I havent rebuilt is the E-coat under the paint. I 'xpect this pup to go at least 1/2M.

Reply to
Rich Hampel