upstream o2 sensor...97TJ

Hey guys its been a while since I was last here... Hoping that you can shed a bit of light on this subject.

Ever since I replaced my shattered exhaust manifold on the 4.0 it has been eating an O2 sensor every year...at least it did till year before last when like clockwork the idiot light came on with the sensor code...I chose to just ignore it for a time...I haven't had any unusual problems out of the engine in this time...no rough running, backfiring etc, like I did when the sensor got toasted with the cracked header...

Just wondering if the borla header could be the source of the problem? perhaps it is running a bit hotter/cooler than the sensor would like???

Any ideas let me know by email, as I don't get to the group very often anymore.

Thanks...

Tommy Humphries

Reply to
Tommy Humphries

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hey Bill, long time no see.

No silicone products have been used around this critter, and the mpg still sits between 18-22 fairly consistently. I did disconnect the battery and the light shut off for a couple of months...it just came back on, which prompted my post... any other ideas?

Tommy Humphries

I don't get to the group very often

Reply to
Tommy Humphries

faulty connections at the 02 sensor harness?? clean & tighten terminals maybe?

later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

air leak from a crack in the manifold... the sensor sends bad data creating a code..

Reply to
Miguel Londono

let us hope that silicone sealant was not used on the intake manifold gasket!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1