valve cover gasket replacement 94 cherokee

Hi All,

Picked up a cork gasket for this before looking at the service manual. Per the manual:

The original grey gasket material should NOT be removed. If sections of the gasket material are missing or are compressed, replace the engine cylinder head cover.

I'd rather not buy an entire head cover, when the gasket cost only 10 bucks. Has anyone done this repair, using a cork gasket, successfully? Or am I just asking for trouble? I'm reluctant to just use RTV.

Thx.

S.

Reply to
fraserwag

Many here are not going to like this, saying the silicone will get loose and clog your oil passages, but, I've found the only thing that works on these valve covers is clean the suffices with a solvent that will not leave a residue. I use alcohol, gasoline is a no-no. Then I lay a bead of that blue silicone about the size of a 1/4" rope in the middle of the gasket area and smear just enough around each of the bolt holes. Then ease it down exactly on to the right position, first time, no sliding, or you've wasted your time. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Is this that cheap plastic cover? They get old and cannot seal properly. Plus it is warning you against getting loose pieces of the old gasket left around where they can get into oil passages.

Take the old cover, clean the heck out of it, dont scratch it in the process. Then some folks cheat and rtv the new gasket to the cover...and when installing the result, add more rtv to the top of the engine where it mates. Some use formagasket. Be sure to clean the top of the engine carefully so you dont dislodge particles that can get into your oil passages, then wipe it as dry as you can, then clean it with a lint free [love those microfiber] rag to get all the oil off and dry it carefully.

Reply to
Lon Stowell