Valve cover gasket replacement A2

Hi, I can't find this in my Bentley. I've got a 90 Carat 8v. Bentley referrs to "cylinder head cover" but I want to do the valve cover. Are they the same thing?

I got a Felpro gasket and propose to put it on there with no rtv or gunk, just the raw gasket, this sound ok?

Also I'm not sure how much Torque to apply.

thanks in advance, Irv

Reply to
IR

Clean up the flange good. you do have the rubber pieces too that go on the ends?. The half moon and the strip. It will work if the valve cove isn't bent up too much and the steel hold down plates are still there. Torque is

Reply to
none2u

Hi, I'm looking in the Bentley manual for a '90 Golf 8v. The description of replacing the gasket on the "Cylinder head cover" is consistent with the steps to replace the gasket on the "valve cover" on my Golf (8 nuts, semi-circular gasket piece, sealing plug, reinforcing strip, etc.). So safe to say "cylinder head cover" and "valve cover" refer to the same thing.

Bentley doesn't mention applying anything before putting the gasket on, so dry is fine. I've put mine on dry. On the '90 Golf, tightening torque is 87 in.lbs (10 Nm or 7.5 ft.lbs), probably similar for your '90 Caret.

-Tony

IR wrote:

Reply to
tonyw

Thanks, yes I have the rubber pieces. Have to double check but belive spec for "cylinder head cover" in my book was 15 ft/lb.

Reply to
IR

Yep same thing. I put all mine on dry, no sealant. No leaks.

Tighen the nuts in a criss cross pattern, starting in the middle. That's so you don't warp the valve cover and make it leak.

Reply to
tylernt

Mucho thanks all. 7.5, dry, check. Now to order an appropriate torque wrench.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
IR

Reply to
tonyw

Yes I have been going trough the same thing wit my valvecovergasket 88 Fox replaced 4 in short order no luck then was advised use rubber gasket for a

Reply to
Lambert Moonen