258 Valve cover gasket question

Hi,

I've got a 258 engine on a '89 YJ. Unless I'm wrong about this, the original valve cover was made of plastic but the one I have is made of aluminium (did I spell that right).

If I'm correct in my assumptions above, will a regular NAPA gasket work with this valve cover or do I need to find a gasket made for this particular valve cover?

Thanks, Nelson '89 YJ

Reply to
Nelson

You can get cork gaskets for either type of cover. They are different.

Some of those aluminium covers don't use any gasket, just RTV silicone.

Having the surfaces perfectly clean is the big trick. I get them super clean, then I use a skim of RTV on both sides with a cork gasket.

The one I put in in 2000 on mine is still pretty dry and my plastic cover only has the two bolts up top center.

I also 'think' your 89 came stock with the metal cover.

Mike

Nels>

Reply to
Mike Romain

my 89 has a metal cover

Reply to
jasonp

Reply to
Steve G

Congratulations -that's the Brit way of spelling it. (we pronounce it all-you-min-i-um)

Dave Milne

Nelson ( snipped-for-privacy@optikadesign.qc.ca) wrote on Friday 30 April 2004 02:22 pm:

Nelson,

The NAPA ones work pretty good. Mines been on for a year and a half and is holding good. I just made sure I cleaned all surfaces very well with brake cleaner, then put a thin coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket, the engine, and the valve cover.

You may have to trim the gasket a bit to fit your particular valve cover.

Reply to
Michael White

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Heh, posting from Shaw cable, yet he can't spell in Canadian eh?

Mike

Steve G wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the all the replies guys! I will go get one at NAPA and change it next week. I'll let you know how well it worked out.

Nelson

Reply to
Nelson

Reply to
Steve G

Only in the dictionary...

We still spell Brit up here on most things...

My spell checker is always pissing me off when I know I have the right spelling...

Mike

Steve G wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

See, if you'd had the good sense to get into a proper scrape with the Limeys like we did you could have spelled "colour" or "programme" without the extra letters, or said "counter-clock wise rather than "anti clockwise". (I've never been quite sure what the Brits had against clockwise, but apparently they're very much against it.)

I'm fairly sure you're not forced to use European paper, you know, the stuff that's longer than our legal size and won't fit in any copier, printer, etc. That would be worse than taxation without representation. Perhaps you could all dress up like Indians and throw the stuff into Hudsons Bay or the St Lawrence in protest!

Reply to
Jerry McG

Does anybody know when or why paper sizes diverged?

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Office store conspiracy one might venture. Keeps folks from smuggling low cost foreign paper products.

[ducks, runs]
Reply to
DougW