Wait for 05 TJ or get an 04? Any Advice?

Well, I had an 02TJ Sport and I loved it. In December, I traded it on an 04 Columbia edition Grand w the 4.7HO and Quadra-tracII. I got a really good deal(10000 off), so I'm not upside down. Long story short, the GC is incredible, like a caddy that can go anywhere. Unfortunately, it is about the most boring car I have ever owned with the exception of an 89 Volvo. I guess I'm not ready to grow up yet. Soooo, I am looking to replace it with a TJ. I like the lime green out there now so I will probably get that. I need air and I guess I will get a 6cyl, I was gonna get the 4, but I have heard it doesn't make much diff in mileage and I liked the power i got from my old sport. The other main thing I want is a stick and that is my question. I read that the newest TJs will get a 6 speed. What are the opinions as to whether that is worth waiting for? Any other reasons to wait versus jump right now? I must admit, it will be embarrassing to to go back to my salesguy and say I know this is your flagship, but I'd like to trade it on your bumpy cheaper model...At least I got a Columbia jacket out of this.

Reply to
Brad and Julie Vaughn

attnews

Really ? my wagoneer reminds me of a caddy - luxurious with vague handling !

Dave Milne

Reply to
attnews

I'm just stunned at the juxstaposition of "brilliant" and "AMC" in the same sentence.

Reply to
RJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If you're looking for the SWB TJ, I'd get it now. Not sure if the're going to offer the electric lime green next year. Also, I haven't heard anything about the gearing on the 6 spd. Many people are hoping for a granny low gear, but no clear word yet on that. Then there's the inevitable problems found in the first year production of anything.

If you are looking at the LWB TJ, they should be coming out with the manual tranny in 05 as well as a Rubicon package (if rumors hold true) which would be great with a lift and some 35's.

just my $0.02

Chad

95 YJ RIP 02 TJ
Reply to
Chad

I traded a '99 Land Rover Discovery for my '04 TJ. "Hey, honey. Let's trade the Rover for a smaller, bumpier, nosier, gas hogging...etc." You know the rest. I'm a dozen times happier about it too. I LOVE my TJ.

I write software. The first release of software is always "buggy". Better to get the third or fourth release. Enjoy the '04, save some money and wait 'til the kinks get worked out of the 6-speed by '08.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

AMC was the enemy of good engineering.

By the way, top posting screws up the continuity of the conversation.

Reply to
RJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Actually, I have an 89 Grand Wagoneer. It is rusting out down near the tank, so it is giving it's life(well its front doors and interior pieces) for my J10. But that said, it has character - I'm one of the few that liked the wood paneling on the side - and is fairly rugged. The 04 Grand Cherokee feels a little too plastic for my taste. I loved my 02 Sport, but never having owned a CJ, my most rugged jeep has been that J10. It is rusty as hell, but it is built like a tank and the 360 in it kicks a$$. I have had to fix a seal in the quadratrac, but otherwise, it has performed really well. It just looks like the wrath of God hit it. I used to drive an M715(probably tougher than my J10, but almost undrivable because of the gears) for a termite company my dad ran, so my wife thinks I need to get a little Cherokee and a CJ so I can say I have had all the major jeep models!

Reply to
Brad and Julie Vaughn

Mine came from the factory without wood, which is unusual I gather.

Dave Milne

Not in this group.

Mostly we top post here, but sometimes a thread will last if short enough for a bottom post.

All the commercial newsreaders default to top posting these days and some of these threads get so long scrolling down means opening up page after page. Times have changed since the BB days...

Mike

RJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
FrankW

didn't we just go through this a few weeks ago?????

Reply to
aGraham

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
attnews

Reply to
attnews

Mines in pretty good nick really (1992). No visible rust.

you spot what's missing (and no it came from the factory like this !).In fact, I have to admit I am going to treat it nicely and never offroad it. Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III