Weeping gear oil (rear diff)

Either their oil was contaminated with water, or they used a gear oil that does not have anti-foam ingredients (ie, really cheap). They may have also installed an incompatible additive. Give up on them, eat the loss, and either take it somewhere else (that you've checked out with your local BBB first), or change it yourself. Another option, if you trust them to even touch your Jeep again, is to buy your own lubricant and make them install it free. Personally, I wouldn't let them touch it again if it were mine (the loss isn't that great). I've used 85w140 in everything I've ever owned (mild winters with frequent cold waves and killing frosts, hot summers, frequent moderately heavy towing).

Dan.

Reply to
Hootowl

Still no answer to the question of why does gear oil travel up the vent tube, and leak all over the garage floor. The level in the diff housing is quarter inch below fill hole. Bad oil? bad rear end? pressure? heat? abscense of gravity in that region?

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

It was just changed three weeks ago, could it be that bad??

Thanks guys,

Greg Earle Hort> That's what I'm thinking too. The fix is to remove the cover, clean the

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
jerryg

That's what I'm thinking too. The fix is to remove the cover, clean the contaminated fluid out, and put fresh fluid of the correct type in there. Removing all of the contaminated fluid can be a problem, depending on what is actually in it. I think the real question is, "What did the local quick lube place do to this poor fellow's vehicle?"

It's messy to change your own fluids, but then again this sort of thing hardly ever happens when you do.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
jerryg

Heh, I am thinking that there is a chance they put engine oil in there by mistake. I think you want to calmly explain to the lube shop service manager what you told us, and that it started when you had them service the vehicle. Then maybe he can figure something out.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is either take it back to quickie lube and have them do it correctly with gear lube that isn't derived from Red Chinese recycled waste tractor oil or buy some American made gear lube and do it correctly yourself.

In either case you need to actually have the differential open. To do that you have to remove the 10 bolts that hold the cover on so you can look inside and see what is going on. You do not want to just drain and refill through the fill hole.

All you need is a wrench and a tube of RTV.

If you do go to quickie lube take your lawn chair open it up and watch as the tech works.... better yet take a video camera and film everything he does and get close-ups of the labels on all the containers they use....

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
jerryg

This is how the Quickie Lubes do business. Unfortunately this behavior is not the exception, it is the norm.....

I understand you may not want to do some maintenance work yourself. Find yourself an honest mechanic in your neighborhood and have him do it...

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
jerryg

Wrong stuff leaking?

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
jerryg

Hmmm. Let me see if I heard this all straight:

  1. Skippy Lube puts incorrect/cheap lube in differential case without performing the service properly, and most likely just did a 'pump-n-dump' with a suction gun.
  2. You discover that they used incorrect/cheap lube when it all comes foaming out the overflow tube.
  3. You then take it BACK to Skippy Lube.
  4. After hearing the complaint, Skippy Lube Illiterates tell you they will:

a. Not remove the housing cover, clean, inspect and reseal.

b. Replace the incorrect/cheap lube with MORE incorrect/cheap lube.

c. Send you on your way, presumably fixing the problem.

Interesting. I would bet you a week's-pay that they also underfilled it this time around so that the incorrect/cheap lube won't find its way out of the overflow so easiliy, fooling you into thinking they suddendly grew a conscience and were regretful at having performed such deficient service.

My advice mirror's others here: do it yourself if you want it done right. It takes about an hour of your time to slide under, disassemble, clean, seal and fill a differential. I would * NEVER * trust Skippy Lube morons with any of my equipment.

Reply to
Outatime

Just out of curiosity .... what do these places charge?

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
jerryg

Oh, they actually popped the cover and cleaned everything up first? Good deal. I doubt they do this unless you're watching AND complain when they do a typical pump-n-dump.

True story: my late Father-in-law watched a Skippy Lube outfit change the oil filter then add one quart of oil to top off. THAT is what they consider an "Oil Change" around here. I've seen worse. Much worse. You'd do well to avoid them altogether.

Reply to
Outatime

All he has to do is smell it. Engine oil and gear oil smell differently. And good gear oil has a strong odor.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

There probably isn't one he could see-they probably buy it in bulk, in barrels, and pump it in through a tube.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl