weld-on accessories

I'm not too sure about the latest TJ's but the Wrangler bumpers are pretty rigid extruded steel by design. They are not one of those 15 MPH absorption bumpers in the average safety conscious car. Unless you think a bumperette can offer you some protection.

I built a rigid bumper for my jeep to allow me to deflect up and over rather than through the offending obstacle. Though I haven't climbed a tree yet, knock on wood! (chuckle, chuckle)

Most top of the line after market off road bumpers are far more rigid than the stock bumpers and offer no absorption benefits that I can see.

Perry

87YJ 36x12.5 MT Baja's

MikeG wrote:

Reply to
Perry Gagnon

who knows what is/is not applicable. i can say with authority thats how we did it though and as a licensed manufacturer, im sure my employer was doing it by code.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Weld-on Accessories. Is that like a snap-on tool?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

that's why I'm keeping my stock bumper. If it gets too badly bent, I can always straighten it out...

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: >

: >>i wanna sample the market a little bit to help with some designs im : >

: > working : >

: >>on. im really curious if you as jeepers would be interested in bumpers : >

: > that : >

: >>weld to the frame instead of bolting? what if such a bumper was stronger : >>than what is currently avialable yet much cheaper? assume the design was : >>such that you couldnt destroy the bumper if you tried. how about sliders : >>that also weld on instead of bolt? : >>thanks, : >>

: >>-- : >>

: >>Nathan W. Collier : >>

: >>

: >>

: >

: >

: >

:
Reply to
Dave Milne

Fair enough! I had to straighten my 1966 IH Scout's front bumper a few times by strapping it to a tree and getting a running start backwards! ;-) I had to do it once with my stock bumper on my YJ but the damage was already done to the right front corner panel so I fabb'ed up a bumper that won't do that so easily again.

Cheers! Perry

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Perry Gagnon

:-) winches are pretty handy at straightening bumpers too.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: >

: > Dave Milne, Scotland : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara : >

: > : >

: > : >>i wanna sample the market a little bit to help with some designs im : > : >

: > : > working : > : >

: > : >>on. im really curious if you as jeepers would be interested in bumpers : > : >

: > : > that : > : >

: > : >>weld to the frame instead of bolting? what if such a bumper was : > stronger : > : >>than what is currently avialable yet much cheaper? assume the design : > was : > : >>such that you couldnt destroy the bumper if you tried. how about : > sliders : > : >>that also weld on instead of bolt? : > : >>thanks, : > : >>

: > : >>-- : > : >>

: > : >>Nathan W. Collier : > : >>

: > : >>

: > : >>

: > : >

: > : >

: > : >

: > : : >

: >

:
Reply to
Dave Milne

You can also back up and hit the same rock/tree on the other side and tell everyone it came that way...

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)