What about a 98"

I have been looking at this 1998" Jeep Cherokee, that has 104,000 miles on it should I be afraid of buying something with these miles' on it. Is there anything I should be looking for that are common problem's. Thanks' for the help. -- Jimmie: VP. North Iowa Off-Road Club

Reply to
CJ-Jimmie

Ask if the seller has the maintenance records. If they can't provide them I'd stay clear unless you like playing catch-up. The things I'd check:

- Front and Rear diff. fluid changed.

- T-case/tranny fluid change.

- Timing belt/chain changed

- Don't forget to take a really good look under the vehicle.

- Check oil pan and all skid plates for damage.

- Check for any hanging oil drops (at all engine to tranny to tcase locales) and Ring and Pinion seal where drive shafts mount to diff'ys.

- !!!Try and use all 4wd positions and switch them in and out to check for inconsistency.

- When looking at the vehicle, make sure the engine is cold. Have the seller start the engine while you stare at the exhaust tail pipe. Make note of smoke, if any at all comes out.

*** If you already know the routine cool, I just hate to hear the sorry stories from people that didn't have the sense to check ALL the obvious wear and tear points. Believe me I've over looked some too.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Brogren

"Paul Brogren" wrote

Is this really accurate? There is moisture condensation that needs to be blown out/evaporated off when a cold engine starts.

You can let the engine idle for a few minutes and then pump the throttle and look for smoke or let it run for 5 min or so until the moisture is gone, shut it off for 10 min or so and try again.

You could ask the owner for a compression test before you buy.

Also, you're not mentioning how much the jeep is selling for.

Reply to
William Oliveri

Hey William, Thanks for keeping me honest, I should have mentioned Blue or Black smoke. (Valve or Ring Sign)

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Well the guys asking $4,495.00 . I'm just wondering if there are any problem's inherent to the 98" Cherokee's. And what kind of transfer case is this. Starting from the top and going down toward's the driver. It read's like this . 2 WD--4x4 part time---4WD High----Neutral--- 4 WD Low. What kind is this and is it any good. On road ,,,off-road. Most of the Cherokee's I've seen are as follow's 2WD----4WD High---Netural--4WD Low. Is one model any better to have over the other.

I know how and what to look for as to the quality of a car truck or jeep, but I don't know if these have thing's that are problematic, You know exhaust manifold's cracking, the trany's are junk,,What axel's do they come with, with what model's. You know .I want to off-road this a little camping , hunting, towing my CJ-7 to distant places to Wheel it at. I wouldn't want to drive my CJ-7 to the west or up north, south,east, or where ever. With the lift and tire's it's OK to drive all over ,just not wanting to drive it

100's of miles. She get's a little bouncy going down the interstate, and if I break down at least I can haul her home and work on it during the week. Thank You in advance..
Reply to
CJ-Jimmie

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Blue smoke is oil, and hence valve or ring trouble.. black smoke is incorrect gas to air mixture.. kinda white smoke is what all Canadian vehicles do when started on a cold morning..

Reply to
Mike Hall

The transfer case that you are looking at here is the 242 type known as Selectrac.. it works ok..

Reply to
Mike Hall

Reply to
Paul Brogren

I was trying to keep it light, but yes coolant leaks produce white smoke too.. this is what ASKJEEVES had to say about it..

Q. MY CAR EMITS SMOKE WHEN I START UP. WHAT DOES THE SMOKE INDICATE ?

A. If the cloud is relatively blue or blue/black, it may indicate oil being burned along with the fuel. This may be caused by either worn piston rings or an oil viscosity that is too low.

If the cloud is black, it indicates excess fuel being burned.

If the cloud is white, it may simply be the moisture in the cold engine and exhaust system being burned off. If there's a lot of white smoke and it continues for a long time, you may have an internal coolant leak.

Reply to
Mike Hall

Mike Hall did pass the time by typing:

They left out the possibility you could have a tank of crapoline. Water in the fuel will not only create a white cloud it can also destroy fuel injectors.

Reply to
DougW

If ever I pull up to a gas station where the resident attendant has only one tooth of the original set left, I generally just ask where the nearest town is and drive off hoping that I do not run out of gas.. :)

Reply to
Mike Hall

Guys I'm just throwing thoughts out there. My CJ exhails whitish exhaust in the morning too.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Paul Brogren did pass the time by typing:

Perfectly normal, especially when it's cold and when you park outside. One of the byproducts of combustion is steam. That condenses and collects in the pipes then gets cooked off in the morning.

Reply to
DougW

BTW when should the be replaced on a '98 4.0? Geez, I did the 60,000 mile service myself and totally forgot about the timing belt/chain. I better check the manual when I get home tonight!

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

I would wait for another 240,000 miles or so....

You only change the chain when rebuilding the engine.

Mike

Just Taylor wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain