1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello, I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Inline 6, 4.0L, and it is having some starting issues. It will take it forever to start, it will crank over about 10-15 times and then finally start, Do you have any sugestions? I have replaced: Spark Plugs, had all liquids changed, and etc. Could you help? Thanks

Reply to
McNick

McNick did pass the time by typing:

Try turning the key on, waiting for the pump to stop buzzing, turn the key off, turn the key back on, then turn the key to start. If this solves the issue then you have a problem with pressure bleed down.

Also pull the codes.

DougW

That did the trick by turning the key of for 5 seconds... So how can I fix the problem?

Reply to
McNick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

possibly. Don't have the book here.

For now, the key trick.

Hopefully you have the system Bill pointed out. If so your in luck because on the 93-95 it was either the fuel rail pressure regulator (easy but not cheap) or the fuel pump check valve (not easy and not cheap)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks Alot! I will See if that works.

Reply to
McNick

Do you think using a replaceable filter before the regulator is feasible?

It would have a working pressure of about 50 PSI

Reply to
Billy Ray

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:

I don't see why not.

*grin*

Now that you've pried your hands off the wallet. :)

Look for an aftermarket filter for fuel injection that uses commonly available fittings. They don't have to be reusable but they should be rated for at least 70psi, most are rated up to 100 burst. I routinely put 72psi on the stock ZJ filter. But it uses those hard-to-find O-ring clippy things.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I was thinking perhaps one of those oil filter sized ones like Ford used in my T-bird and daughter's Cougar. I could cut and flare the steel the steel tube and use high pressure hose and a couple stainless steel clamps

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I've made 2 trips to Canada in the last 3 months, does that count as one trip to Mexico?

From Parts Direct the "Fuel Filter" is $57.36 ($69.95 list)

Reply to
Billy Ray

It took me a while to find it on my first T-Bird (an '86), I replaced it and my daughters '88 Cougar at the same time. Years later I replaced the one in my '93 which I drove till I got a 2000 XJ.

I was thinking the filters were on the passenger side behind the door underneath a goofy little cover.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I can't find it on my 98' Grand Cherokee, How can I figure out if it is in my fuel tank or not?

Reply to
McNick

It's on top of the fuel tank on the fuel pump/regulator assembly. But your problem is not from the filter which is a huge white felt-like filter which is a lifetime filter that doesn't need changing. It bears no resemblance to the filters of older cars like I grew up changing and/or cleaning.

The slow start is very likely nothing more than a leaky anti-drainback valve which is also located on the fuel pump/regulator assembly. When it leaks, it allows the fuel to drain down out of the fuel injectors and fuel rail all the way back down to the gas tank. Then at the next engine start, the fuel pump has to get the fuel all the way back up to the injectors which is what takes so much time. Replacing the anti-drainback valve will fix your problem. You may have to buy the entire fuel pump/regulator assembly which includes that valve if your parts guy can't get the valve separately.

Jerry

McNick wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

McNick proclaimed:

Pick up a cuppa coffee, take a coupla sips as you turn the key on and wait 5 seconds. The other alternatives can get expensive. I haven't had the condition get worse in over 5 years so far.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Someone out there must have a ZJ service manual..... C'mon guys (and gals) look it up!

Reply to
Billy Ray