What is a 1997 Wrangler TJ 2.5L automatic worth

Anyone know how much I could get for a 1997 TJ 2.5L Auto. The engine needs to be replaced soon. 99,000 miles. I think there is coolant in the oil. Thanks for any help

Reply to
bspear78

To be blunt, and probably useless, whatever you can get for it...

A vehicle with serious problems is always going to go for a low price, I'd suggest eBay as a starter, or Craig's List. Be honest and tell prospective buyers all the problems you know of, as most will find out and if they feel you have mislead 'em, they'll bail out so fast there will be tire markes in your driveway!

Reply to
PeterD

What makes you think the engine needs to be replaced soon? Mine just turned

100,000 and it runs like a champ. Don't let the gauges fool you. That 2.5L Auto is not a popular highway combination, but off road it might be OK.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks,

Oil pressure is low and I can see coolant in the oil. Possible head gasket problem

Reply to
bspear78

That's a point that we're debating already. You cannot see coolant in oil, and certaily it won't look 'greenish/yellow' if you did. The oil would perhaps look like a milkshake, you'd have white/brown scum visible on the oil filler cap and in the valve covers, but you'd not see green/yellow color.

Reply to
PeterD

I second that. It sounds like his local lube joint is trying to save money by selling something real cheap.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I sold my 99 wrangler 2.5l, manual five speed, engine for 10,000usd about two years ago... it was in excellent shape however, with only 39,000 miles. All cloth top with half doors. a nice green color with a light brown top (I forgot the color name for the top).

So I would think that it depends a lot on the condition of the body in your wrangler.

Reply to
Larry

I meant to say the condition of the body of your wrangler....lol

Reply to
Larry

Like green oil... left over from a St. Patty's day fish fry, perhaps?

Reply to
PeterD