When it rains..it pours... (95 XJ wont start)

My 95 XJ is dead... No lights no buzzers no start.

The battery reads 12.6 (or 12.8?) on a volt meter, and there is good ground between the engine and the body (and the battery and the body).

The "main" fuse in the engine compartment (40 amp) is good (but I cracked open the shell trying to pull it out), and the TCU fuse in the passenger compartment is good.

I HAVE BEEN HAVING issues in the recent past which seemed to be "neutral saftey switch" related, but might it actually be the ignition switch?? (Does the ignition switch block the tranny shifter release button, or vice versa??)

Would a bad ignition switch prevent ALL of the lights from working???

And, with all the recent rain, I haven't ridden my motorcycle in about

3-4 weeks, so it didn't want to start up either! Not even jumpered to the Jeeps battery !

What else can I check before calling my mechanic?

TIA :(

noneofyourbusiness

A fully charged battery should read closer to 14V What does the voltage read when you turn the headlights on? If it goes gown to < 9V then the battery is probably shot. (or have a cell low on water)

Does the horn work?

Shift interlock (if the recall was done) IIRC, on or start + brake releases the shifter interlock. So if the switch isn't getting any power the shifter would not release.

Lights usually don't rely on the ignition switch. I would suspect a bad battery first, then possibly a blown fusable link.

Reply to
DougW

Headlights don't come on :(

Er...didn't try :/

Where is the fusable link usually located? (The Chilton guide talks about repairing a fusable link but doesn't specifiy WHERE to find it)

Thanks...

noneofyourbusiness

What fun would it be if you had all the information you need from a chiltons? >BFG< Usually they are within a foot or so of the battery. Not exactly sure on your XJ where they are located.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

I would start by cleaning the battery cable ends. No power at all has to be a main cable issue.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > My 95 XJ is dead...
Reply to
Mike Romain

There is an undersized power wire that runs from the ignition switch into the column harness just below the steering wheel. Remove the cover from the bottom of the column between the trun signal and ignition switch and inspect for a melted or burned wire attached to the switch. I attached an additional jumper wire at the switch and supplemented the factory wire for a few inches. It seems that the "tilt wheel" flexing up and down causes this to happen quicker.

Good luck, Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry