test drive 97 cherokee

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Stay away brother... unless your getting it for under $1000. So much could be bad here. Best bet is to take it to a pro tell them what's up with the tranny. This is no way normal for a good running Jeep.

What speed were you popping into 4L? Should never pop it unless you are coasting under 5 MPH with the NV242 & Auto IMHO.

-metalstorm

91 'XJ sold. CJ shopping has begun :)
Reply to
metalstorm

Hi, All Test drive a 97 cherokee country on the weekend, it's 4.0 Auto, Selec-trac with 130, 000km, 3 owners. Driving is perfect, except when switching from P to R or N to D, the truck was like slightly hit by something. Actually you can see the truck was slightly push to the front while switching the gear. Shift the gear to Neutral, pulled the level to 4L, shift to D again, a stronger hit . Is it a tranny problem? The owner said it's normal for a jeep.

I tried to check out the selec-trac, I pulled the level to 4 Part time and

4Full time (the level was very easy to slip off from the 4 Full Time position, I have to hold it ) while driving on pavement, I didn't feel like it's pulling, as I switching to 4 wheel drive on my ford. When I was driving on 4L, a sharp gear noise came out (sound like high rpm on 1st gear). Is the selec-trac wore out? What's the best way to check it out?

The vehicle shows some sign of front end accident, any particular thing I need to check out? The rear differential was taken part before, I can see the red seal around the differential cover.

I have no expereience with Jeep, am I worrying too much? I appreciate with your suggestion?

Thanks

Herb

Reply to
herb

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
herb

Reply to
herb

This Jeep screams lemon! You say there is signs of a front end accident, has the owner confirmed there was an accident and told you what was done in repairs? If not then walk away, if he is not going to be honest with the obvious, what is he not being honest without the obvious?

-- Taylor

'89 Audi 200 '03 Audi S6 Avant '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Reply to
Just Taylor

Yes, you can drive in Full Time 4WD all day long, Part Time (the names are counter-intuitive) is for low-friction surfaces only. But you should not have to hold the lever in gear. Something's wrong there.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

The jumping a bit when going into gear is only 'normal' if the idle is set too high. You cannot set the idle on that engine, so something is wrong with it to be up that high.

The fact that the transfer case shifter will not hold into top gear is bad news. This implies the frame is bent bad enough that the shifter is hitting the body.

How bad was the front end damage anyway? Check the tires out carefully! If they are worn strange or if the front ones are newer than the rear ones, run away fast.

The whine in 4 low is normal, 4 low is noisy.

Mike

herb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Kinda makes me think broken motor mounts or the like. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Hey Herb, This Cherokee sounds like a complete nightmare. If you're looking for a Cherokee (older or newer) don't concern yourself with the mileage so much as the condition. I have 310,000 km on mine with the engine rebuilt at

301,000... the rest of the drivetrain is original (4.0, AW4, NP242, D30, D35). Buy one with a spotless body/original paint - preferably 1 owner.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

The front bumper, fenders, hood and doors on the left side was repainted, the sheet metal doesn't fit well, the front bumper is bent out in the middle. I looked at the bottom of the front end, no damage on the frame.

why the front tires are newer is a bad sign? My 94 ford explorer had the "jumping" when going into gears before the tranny died. is it a tranny problem or the engine mount, expensie to fix?

The transfer case shifter is very easy to slip towards 4Part Time, when I hold it for a while then release, it stays. I never used selec-trac, I guess it's not normal.

Herb

Reply to
herb

Usually the rear tires wear out first or all 4 wear even if rotated.

When the frame is bent, the 4 wheel alignment is off and usually the front tires are the one to wear bad.

Folks drive the 'repaired' vehicle for a while, then figure out it will never have tire life, so they put 2 new tires on to cover up the bad wear marks and dump the vehicle to some other sucker.

So when I see 'new' fenders and paint along with 'new' or mismatched tires, I tell the person to run away fast. ( I do go look at vehicles for folks. I am good at spotting 'repairs' and have toys like compression testers and vacuum gauges to test the engines out quick)

Jumping into gear can be a lot of things besides engine troubles. That and the gear shift not working 'could' be broken engine or tranny mounts. You can tell really fast. Open the hood and watch the engine when it gets put into gear with the brakes on. Then have the person give it a little rev while holding the brake. Then watch it when it is put into reverse. If there is a broken mount, the engine will either lift on one side or the 'tail' of it will slide sideways big time if the tranny mount is busted.

Mike

herb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Herb.

I am in Toronto, Yonge and Finch area, just off the 401 and certainly wouldn't mind checking out a Jeep for you.

I currently am on a small disability payment from a car accident so usually check things out or supervise repairs for gas and beer....

I am sitting home every day going half stir crazy so would love to come give my fairly educated opinion on the Jeep. Or you could bring it here to get a test drive on it.

Mike

herb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thank you so much, Mike. I gonna to get a jeep to join this salom.

Reply to
herb

Brian, I am not really concern about the mileage as long as the vehicle has been taking care of. I live in Mississauga Ontario, if it's not too far from you, I would like to see some pictures of the vehicle. Could you send email to me? What year is it?

Reply to
herb

Hi Herb,

Sorry for the confusion but I wasn't trying to sell mine to you - just relating the information about high mileage. With that said, I may be inclined to sell mine pending the outcome of a job interview. If I get the job, I'm looking at a 150 km commute. I have to finish installing the suspension before I do anything.

-Brian

: >

: :

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Mike, I'd definitely love to get opinion from you, and also need you to check a jeep out after I find one. I am looking for a Cherokee(square box) for a while, the only source is from Autotrader. My budget is around $7000 Canadian before tax, at this price what can I get?

I feel sorry for your car accident, it's good to know you can off road again.

Reply to
herb

Ours is still all original and it has turned 300K.

Mike

herb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You can get something decent for that money.

Jeeps in general hold their value pretty good so you have to watch out. Some folks are in dreamland when it comes to prices.

The local papers also list them. We got ours through the local paper. We were the first ones at the guy's door at 11.00 at night when he got off work in a blizzard. We took it for a test drive, left a deposit and came back the next day to finalize it.

Jeeps that have a realistic price tag on them sell the day they are listed.

Mike

herb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain