will 18x9 wheels fit my cherokee? also an a/c Question?

i have a set of 18x9 wheels with 6 inch backspacing, i was wondering if any one has any expierence with anything similar, or how tall and wide a tire can i go with a stock ride height. now about the a/c, i wanted to know if my 88 cherokee use's R-12 or R-134? any insight on either subject will be appreciated.

Reply to
Brad Johnson

R-12 was standard for 88.

Stock is 15x7 wheels and I think 3.5 backspacing. 30X10.5 tires rub on those wheels w/o a suspemsion lift, bigger/wider tires require serious trimming. Now consider the mounting pattern on the wheels flanges and I doubt you're gonna cram 18 inch wheels under it, at least not with tires on them.

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks, Bill - I was seeing bass-ackwards again ;-} And you think you're dyslexic...

All I could think of was rubberband tires sticking out 4-5 inches past the fender - uuugggly!!!

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Eric Shade

hay will i measured the 15x7 jeep alloy wheel i have as a spare ( same as on jeep ) and it measured 5" of back spacing. and bill the wheels i would be using are not for a rice burner, they are 18x9 replica's of the new mach1 mustang wheel, which are modern version's of the magnum 500 wheel which was used by ford/dodge/plymouth/mercury/chevy/olds/ and "AMC" no other style of wheel can claim that. well my point is, it's a about as american as you can get in that size. im going to try one on today, just to get a idea i'll let you guys know what i find out.

Reply to
Brad Johnson

oh i forgot to ask, what do i need to do to recharge my a/c ? can i add more r-12. or do i have to convert to r-134. what's cheaper and can i do it myself ? well thank's again guy's.

Reply to
Brad Johnson

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

bill the current generation mustang 94-04 can use up to a 18x10-1/2 inch wheel in the back with 6.63 inch's of backspace and 18x9 ( like mine ) in the front. these are now the common size's people use for these car's. the factory gt wheels are 17x8 with 5.78 inch's of b/s. now the r-12 at $400 a can... wow! i cant afford that. how much is it to convert to r-134? i think my dad has a coupple cans of old r-12 in his garage.... can i still use them ?

Reply to
Brad Johnson
6.63" of backspacing sounds WAY excessive... you're sure about that amount?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

That means they're along ways away from their suspension geometry. Tucking some serious tire. Wonder if that's due to five-link rather than leaf springs. :)

Reply to
DougW

springs. :)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Assuming the rims will even fit, the equivelent tire size for your factory tires is a 195/40x18.

I can't see how these will fit a 9" rim, and I can't for the life of me understand why one would want such narrow sidewalls on an offroad truck.

Your '88 requires R12 unless it has been converted, in which case it should have a sticker indicating so.

Reply to
CRWLR

Try this link ...

Plug in your current size, then experiment with other sizes to see what fits.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

jerry im absoluteley positive...... i could post a url to a guy who sells them on ebay... with pic's on the car, if you would like to see them? let me know.

Reply to
Brad Johnson