winching techniques

Ok guys.....

we've had our winch pissing match and ya...dunno who won that one!! haha

anyhow, say you're stuck in the mud/sand/snow with no anchor points around and no other vehicles to winch off of and pull out.

What do you guys do? Other than take all the parts off the truck...move each bit over to solid ground and built it back up again!?

Do you guys use a sand-anchor? or a 'dead-mans' anchor??

Reply to
SB

You can bury the spare tire for an anchor.

Then slap yourself every shovel full of dirt for running solo....

Mike

SB wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well, for one I wouldnt be out wheeling alone...its just not a real good idea.

Bury your spare tire deep and winch off of it perhaps. Start walking is another good idea. After all, you are prepared to do that when wheeling alone, right?

=)

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

11.6 megs! I don't think I'll see this one. Planting a Bruce anchor works, but you have to get it loose when you are out.
Reply to
Paul Calman

Yep. Bury the spare for an anchor or use an actual boat anchor. Walmart has them fairly cheap. The kind with the flukes will dig right into the sand.

You can also carry an old axle shaft or two. Drive them into the ground to pull to.

Reply to
Charlie

I know that!! I'm not typing this email from the middle of the dunes looking for a way out!! You get what you ask for!! And shit happens...hence the question! I'm looking for techniques....not common-sense tips!! Although I'll take ya up on those on a different post!! haha

the buried spare is the deadmans anchor?! So...air down too? Jack it up and push stuff under it or jack it high enough and push the jack over?!?!

Reply to
SB

Heh. I was wheeling with my brother in our respective TJs and I got high centered BAD on *something* in the middle of the creek I was crossing. The Jeep wouldn't budge so I called him on the radio and asked if he would be so kind as to serve as an anchor for my winching operation. He was ahead of me a ways, so as he is turning around to come back, he gets stuck himself in some mud. Since he was still way out of winching range from me, and because he didn't have a winch at the time, that was not good.

This was a mudflat so there wasn't anything good to hook to, but off to one side a ways off were some clumps of trees. Using most of my winch cable and a short strap, I hooked around the first clump and promptly tore them out of the ground. Finally after looking around, we found a more substantial clump and it took all 100 feet of winch cable, my 10 foot strap, my 20 foot strap, and about 6 feet of my 10 foot chain to reach, and fortunately they held. Unfortunately, I mangled the 20 innermost feet of my winch cable due to the angled pull and being unable to unwind and respool it straighter (there was a pretty good current and I was up almost to the door openings in cold glacial melt water). To be honest I was just happy to get out, and then winching out the other Jeep was a non event.

The next week I ordered a Pull-Pal land anchor to go with my new winch cable, and after cutting off the bad part of the original cable, I had an eye swaged onto that end. I do not intend to have that same problem again.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

What's a bruce anchor? one of those sand screws?

Reply to
SB

Pull-Pal

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Pull-Pal...

Reply to
Bill

Luckily I've never been stuck in the mud where it was wide enough or deep enough to prevent using a hi-lift and then stuffing everything but the ex-wife under the wheels. For sand, you can often air down a bit, jack it up high enough to start dumping vegetation, dry brush, etc. under the wheels. Even better is a roll of heavy mesh plastic fencing and any nearby rocks, vegetation, floor mats, etc. If you can get inertia you can usually get out. Snow also works with shovelling and the heavy mesh plastic fence...or just wait for spring.

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Here's a couple. They are used for sand or soft mud. They dig in well when pulled laterally, but can be lifted out vertically without too much effort. One would make a great conversation piece on your bumper.

Paul Calman

Bury something big and heavy... like Keith Primeau... and winch from that.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Paul, what is cost on these and where may I find additional information?

Reply to
Norm & Debbie

Google- 2,780 hits

Retiredff

If you were deaf, you could bring along Oprah and Rosie Odonnel.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
twaldron

NEVER wheeling alone is what most of us do, making the scenario you present a thing that never happens.

As a rule of thumb, not only should you NEVER wheel alone, you should wheel with two other Jeeps. If 1 Jeep is stuck, and there is only 1 recovery vehicle, that vehcle may not be heavy enough to do the recovery. Remember, the winch will ALWAYS move the lighter load closer to the heavier load. Weight can be created by blocking the tires, and that sort of thing, or it can be created by strapping two Jeeps together.

Reply to
CRWLR

Good Lord, pray that they STAY dug in if you're winching off one of those... I remember that link Bill put up that had just the tow strap with the hook that went right through the back window, seat and windshield!

coop

Reply to
cooper