Winch security

ive mounted my winch, with a warn winch plate, now ive a question, how does one secure the winch and plate from thieves? do i grind a spot on a set of bolts and tack-weld? how are any of you guys doing it? hate to go hicking and come back with my front bumber empty, johnp

Reply to
scopenutt

This SEEMS like it may work

Troy

LOL!

Ya right. I doubt that would take a hit from a rubber mallet and survive, let alone a rock or steel hammer.....

Mike

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Give it a weld. And make sure is covered by insurance and documented so it can be replaced.

Reply to
Rusted

Welding a mounting bolt is a quick way to ruin the Grade 5 rating of the bolt.

Jerry

Rusted wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

True. But I would not loose too much sleep over a tack that holds the nut to the bolt to prevent it from turning. I would not heat the entire bolt up. Plus you only need to tack one bolt to make it secure, the others would be untouched, this is just to keep a thief from pulling it off with a set of wrenches one night.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I guess you could put two nuts on, and tack weld the nuts together.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Buy locking nuts they have a dimple on the side of the nut put some Leak Lock (from your local heating/cooling store) on the threads. Between the leak lock and the lock nut you will need a nut splitter to get them off.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

The scatter shield idea. Just take some 1/4" or 5/16' stock and put 2

90 degree bends in it and tack it down over the bolts. Thats what I am going to do. That or. hehe, this is kinda neck, but weld a chain to the plate and back to the frame, or just loop a chain around it and lock it.
Reply to
1BADYJ

Tack-welding a piece of scrap steel over one of the bolts is a better way to protect it.

Jerry

Rusted wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

good thing at least you will know the cause of one of the rattle in the jeep cause by the chain... LOL "1BADYJ" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Patrick

Reply to
RoyJ

OW!!

Reply to
twaldron

RoyJ did pass the time by typing:

Actually you could do the same thing but instead of a bolt welded through, just use a padlock.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

The 357 seems to be a combination that works on nearly any lock

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III