WJ help needed

I know that it must have been addressed before, but I need help with 17" rims/tires. I need help deciding which to buy. I drive many miles daily, so rain, snow and treadwear are the issues. Treadwear is the top priority, but won't compromise performance for longevity. Suggestions?

If a 2" lift or so would make it easier, I would install it as well.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Bill Pahl

Reply to
bill

You know what they say about opinions....

I put Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires on my ZJ and loved them. Good handling, good smooth quiet highway ride, good mileage, lasted a long time, and kicked ass in the snow.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

The best tires I've ever put on my TJL are Michelin M/S's. If you use it primarily for highway use, these work well and wear like iron. They're outstanding in snow, but I don't mud-bog, so I can't offer an opinion on that. I've run them about 30,000 miles so far, and have more than half the tread left on them; I'd say they're good for another 15-20k.

Reply to
Jim Crandell

The best tires I've ever put on my TJL are Michelin M/S's. If you use it primarily for highway use, these work well and wear like iron. They're outstanding in snow, but I don't mud-bog, so I can't offer an opinion on that. I've run them about 30,000 miles so far, and have more than half the tread left on them; I'd say they're good for another 15-20k.

Reply to
Jim Crandell

I have the M+S on a ZJ and have well over 60K on them. They still have all sorts of tread left, but I'll be replacing them with either the AT-2 or another set of M+S next year as they are simply getting old. Suspect the AT-2 will get the nod for just a bit more cleatiness in soft dirt, grass, etc.

In the winter, I show off and use fully studded snows cause I like to drive in the mountains and prefer to be able to stop on the downhills.

Reply to
Lon

Last set was the Michelin M/S, the only fault with them was they tended to clog in mud. But they also wore like iron and will be my next set.

Replaced them with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T and they don't pack up as much in the muck. Thing is they are wearing out twice as fast as the Mich M/S and not lasting on the ZJ. So after these rubberized turds wear out I'm going back to Mich M/S.

Reply to
DougW

I've got just over 60k on BFG AT-KOs - best rubber I've found. Same packing issue as you describe but a great compromise if you do a lot of pavement running.

Reply to
Will Honea