How far can u drive without alternator?

I was wondering on a basic nissan bluebird carb engine, minimal electrics, how long/far could you drive without the alternator connected up? Battery is a fairly new 065 battery.

During the day probably last quite a long time with only a couple of starts and brake lights draining it.

What about with sidelights on? Wondering if it will last long enough to drive to the car parts shop.

Reply to
Alan

Where do you think the ignition system gets its electrcity from if there is no alternator?

How far away is the parts shop?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Ummm.... an electro-chemical multi-celled device sometimes called a "battery" perhaps?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The message from "Tony Brett" contains these words:

From the battery! It'll run for quite some time - an hour or more on a simple car.

Reply to
Guy King

With the sidelights on? Only small bulbs I suppose, wont take that much power?

Reply to
Alan

Yes, but it's not "only a couple of starts and brake lights" draining it.

The car will still eventually stop working even if it's only started once and no lights are ever used...

Reply to
David Taylor

What else is using the juice then? The car is all mechanical, fuel pump, no electronic ignition etc

Reply to
Alan

I left the sidelights on in a Renault 10 overnight once. Started perfectly in the morning.

Reply to
malc

Doesn't the highway code mention leaving sidelights on if you're parked on a main-road in dull/no street-lights? Not seen anybody ever do that before mind you.

Reply to
David R

Eventually is a long time. Years ago when I was banger racing we used to remove the alternators, and a battery in good nick would cover an afternoon's racing, say 5-6 starts in all, and 3 or 4 races, each of which might last one lap or 20.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

With a fully charged good condition battery and no headlight use, you should be safe for 20 mins each way with a restart at the car parts shop. Anything more I wouldn't like to risk. You might get an hour of driving before ignition starts to fail, but I wouldn't want to risk it. these days, lots of places online will send you an alternator if you want to play it safe.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

The message from Alan contains these words:

The ignition system!

Reply to
Guy King

Alan (Alan D) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The ignition system may not be electronic, but it sure as hell is electrical.

I'd agree that you should get at least an hour out of a decent battery. Use the lights - including indicators and brakes - sparingly. Don't forget that brake lights are 21w each, as are indicators - so braking and indicating will be drawing at least 42w, plus any dash lights, high-level brake lights or side repeater indicators.

You'll get a bit of warning before it dies totally - misfiring when you brake and indicate is the first clue...

Reply to
Adrian

No idea about the Bluebird, but having played the buggered alternator game in the past:

Take a second, fully charged battery with you. When the first one runs out, you know you've got enough to get home.

Also, a voltmeter (multimeter) connected to the lighter socket may be useful, if the car doesn't have one already.

Kim.

Reply to
kimble

Although mechanically driven piezo-electric spark plugs sound very interesting, I don't think they've been developed yet.

Reply to
David Taylor

It depends on the length of the overnight stop. If it were the usual 12 hours plus between coming home from work and leaving the next day I'd say most cars wouldn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many modern cars are fitted with a parking light system which selects just one front and one rear lamp - switching off numberplate and panel lamps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...which it is actually illegal to use in the UK where lights are required for parking!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Source, please? When parking lights *were* required (and enforced), a single 3 watt lamp in an enclosure which was red to the back, white to the front, was the norm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have 2 examples:

First - I managed to get from North Norfolk to South Mimms services with a duff alternator ( I'd actually shorted it out trying to fit a radio suppressor - don't ask ). I susspect that was giving me some trickle charge though. ( Mk 2 Cavalier )

Recently I had the alternator go totally on my 2.0 Mk 3 Cavalier - I could manage about 8 miles in daylight! ( 15 mins ) I carried my 105 Amp boat battery as well as the car one fitted and topped up with electricity ( swapped them ) when I conked out!

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner