Wrangler/CJ What Year/Engine/Etc. Is The Best One To Buy

Yes I know a general question. So let me put forth my requirements and you can comment.

Requirements: Used (older-cheaper)

6 Cyl Engine 4x4 (Of Course) Power Steering Most available kits/parts/accessories Most Reliable of the different years Year/model with Sturdiest Frame

I hope that helps.

After I gather the opinions I can then start looking for one.

Thanks!

Reply to
cy

The YJ will have more stuff available, but the common wisdom is that the CJ is more sturdy. They both have all of the rest of your requirements.

Reply to
J Strickland

My preference is the CJ7. I like the classic looks and the ease of fixing or modifying.

The 258 engine is a powerhouse of torque and can be tuned to run sweet if you aren't afraid of carburetors. If you are, then a 91 or newer YJ or even the TJ have the fuel injected 4.0 engine. It compromises some gas mileage and modification potential for easy tune ups.

I have had my CJ7 since 1997 and it has only had normal wear and tare repairs needed except for the 'you play you pay' factor for a few broken things. ;-) Had fun breaking them too....

Good luck in your quest.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@justnrg.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I agree with both of these guys. If you are a "fix it" kind of person then get a CJ, about any will do, I like the CJ7 for the extra room over the CJ5. If you can get a 86 CJ7 with the Dana 44 axle that would be a good find. If you are not the type who likes to work on your own car I would go for newest that your budget can afford, nothing older than a 91 ( for the fuel injection), and I would not pick the 4cyl engine, take the 6 or the 8. One more thought on the CJ7, look for rust under the drivers and passengers feet, also look for rust around where the roll bar mounts to the floor just behind the front seats. Try to get the lest rust possible.

Reply to
Rusted

Speaking of rust, the YJ has a galvanized frame and body panels.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com
6 cyl 89's & 90's were all carbs

Reply to
IsellJeeps

What about the WJ?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Different era, the CJ's were steel and rot out extremely bad up here in the salt belt. Mine is all fiberglass bodied now because of that.

The YJ's were the first 'galvanized' bodies.

Your beast is made by DC so who knows?

Mike

Billy Ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Man you are just sooo full of total shit it is painful to ignore it.

Mike

"Robb S via CarKB.com" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
6 was not offered with fuel injection in 89 or 90. dont mislead people

Reply to
IsellJeeps

YEAH my 96 wrangler is a carb too lmao

Reply to
IsellJeeps

God made idiots to keep smarter folks in better paid jobs :-)

Dave Milne

Harvard University is going to decide the origin of the universe and mankind.

Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yeah. I went a little closer and found out that the pickup is only a D100. Screw it. Nice looking truck though, for a mid-seventies Dodge. I'd like to get a 3/4 ton or a 4WD, preferably both. I thought about making them some lemonade and cookies for when they were out working in the hot sun, but screw that too. I don't want to go to jail for poisoning varmints.

Guess who's running for Sheriff, when he gets back from Spain?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Rotf, lmao!