Wrangler Rear Bumper/Cargo Carier option?

I am looking for a rear cargo carrier rated for about 300 lbs. There are plenty of "generic" cargo carriers out there that are intended to work with any 2" hitch receiver. However, for the TJ I am concerned that there may not be enough clearance to get behind the spare. I will be using the carrier to hold an expensive piece of heavy (~150#) motorized gear, so I can't use the overhead option.

So...any of you using a standard rear cargo carrier? Hopefully a Class III or better. If so, what brands are you using? From the price differential, I assume that it just makes more sense to get a new rear bumper with a receiver built in instead of the seperate receiver item. Perhaps the seperate receiver carriage is necessary to get proper mount points for a Call IV or better loads. I do notice a suspicious lack or ratings on almost all the bumpers with built in receivers. I would prefer for it to be a bolt on solution.

Thanks in advance, John

Reply to
John M Urbanic

If you have your back seat out get the olympic4x4 Mountaineer Rack. I have mine mounted between the rollbars. It holds a ton of stuff. When I put my hardtop on for the Winter and keep the rack inside. This is an option if you do not have the back seat in.

The racks on the hitch have never really caught on. I would not want my gear that low, any spray from you tires or passing cars will soak the gear. There are racks that fit over the spare tire. This is and option but you have to buy the bumper, tire carrier and rack $$$.

Reply to
Snowboardripper