Re: XJ Air Box Question...

The whistle noise is likely a vacuum line that has fallen off.

Follow the noise and plug it back on.

Mike

Jamie wrote:

> '99 XJ > > Turned my defrost on high only to hear a loud "whistling sound" and no > air coming out the defroster (the side vents still work). All other > settings work fine (vent, heat, AC, etc), just the defrost setting is > acting up. > > Something inside the air box seems to be preventing the flapper from > fully moving into the correct position for defrost. > > Suggestions????
Reply to
Mike Romain

baggss

Vacuum leak. The "flap" is vacuum controlled like Mike said. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

OK, so where do I start looking for a "vac leak"? Under the hood? behind the radio?

Suggestions? (other than a dwarf chipmunk!)

Thanks

Jamie wrote:

Reply to
Football God

Ooops, just noticed... it's 1999, I was thinking 89. Probably similar removal.

-Brian

: : > Turned my defrost on high only to hear a loud "whistling sound" and no : : > air coming out the defroster (the side vents still work). All other : : > settings work fine (vent, heat, AC, etc), just the defrost setting is : : > acting up. : : >

: : > Something inside the air box seems to be preventing the flapper from : : > fully moving into the correct position for defrost. : : >

: : > Suggestions???? : : : :

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

If you can hear the whistling from inside, it may be quicker to stick your head under the dash and see if you can get a better idea of the direction its coming from. It *may* be from out under the hood so check. A cheap stethoscope or just a hunka hose stuck in your ear might help.

Approximately 8/20/03 11:59, Football God uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell