XJ spring replacement. Is it necessary?

I got a question for anyone with some XJ insight.

I just got a nice '96 green 2-dr, 5 speed w/ 145,000 mi. on it, and I want to do some repairs and add some mods to it before I put it on the road as a daily driver, as a replacement for my civic.

As is, I can't even ride in it because the suspension is so bad! It hurts the back, and is also dangerous.

The vehicle has also never had a wheel upgrade, so this is one definite immediate must for better handling performance (should I try to go 16" or + or just upgrade to some nicer stock aluminum 15" cherokee wheels with 235/70/15's or whatever?) My MAIN question is, however, the suspension. Should I just put nice new shocks all around and a simple add a leaf in back, and can I then still count on some good road handling and cornering, or should I most likely replace all springs too?? I know the condition of the springs could determine this answer, but I'm sort of looking for a simple answer for a light duty, good condition, city Cherokee..

Anyway, anone get my drift?? I want to do it good! Somebody was saying go Old Man Emu also. A local 4x4 center here in Mass told me, however, that at higher road speeds it wasn't a great handler, and is better known for a soft feel.

I like to have both: High speed performance handling, along with a cush, comfy ride when rolling through the multitude of potholes that I hit daily driving in Boston! OK, I'll leave it at that.. or how bout Rubicon Express?? BDS?, I don't know!?! I guess I need more advice. peace, thank you, Ben

Reply to
Ben-town

Born in Attleboro, raised in Brockton, I left Massachusetts in 1978 because it was getting bad there, but I had no idea it was that bad! How much coffee do you drink? Try being a little more coherent, and tell your story in order. First of all, what is wrong with the existing suspension? Is it too stiff, too loose, does the vehicle seem to bounce all over, what? With that amount of mileage, chances are good that the shocks are worn out, but I would also recommend a thorough inspection of all suspension and steering components for loose joints, worn parts, relaxed springs before even thinking of upgrades. This should be done by a mechanic experienced in these matters.

And take a yoga class or something. Ommmm....

Earle Western Colorado, clear skies, clear thinking, never going back.

Reply to
Earle Horton

Shocks make a radical difference in a Jeep. I would go with them first.

On a Cherokee you know the rear springs are worn by the arch in them. They should have a decent positive arch. If they are approaching flat or are reversed, they need to be changed.

If you aren't looking for a lift and it doesn't sound like it, then I would recommend stock springs. The Cherokee handles nice with stock springs and is still a decent off road rig. It will handle any logging or old forest trail easy.

Mike

Ben-town wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey Ben,

I have a '94 Cherokee with about the same amount of miles as you. I agree with Mike that you prolly need to replace your shocks. Mine still has the stock shocks, but I will be replacing them soon. The leaf springs on my XJ are just about flat, but it still handles perfectly. If your suspension checks out ok, and you still want a lift, you might want to try a Tomken 2" spacer lift for $150. This is what I did, and the results were good.

you do this lift, you can run 31" tires with some mild trimming ofyour fender wells.

Also, when I installed my lift, I disconnected the front sway bar to see what it was like. The XJ handles very poorly at speeds above 25 mph when disconnected. Check and make sure the front sway bar is connected, because it could be causing the behavior you describe if it isn't. There is also a sway bar in the rear you should check.

-Brent Bogrees '89 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L TBI ? 33x10.5 BFG MT's '94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L ? 31x10.5 BFG AT's

Brent Bogrees

Yes, yall,

thanks for any responses. Earle you need to take a pill or chill.

Anyway, I am seriously considering a complete Old Man Emu kit. I've read many good things about it all over. Apparently the standard kit gives 2"-2.5" in. of lift over stock w/ just their shocks and springs, being all long and specialized and all with their super long travel. The only part I'm still stuck on is the higher speeds, and what or if I will sacrifice if I go OME over any of the tighter and stiff systems.

Can a shock that good have both great comfort and also performance handling at the same time, or will there be sacrifices?

Also Brent, I read that with their kit being installed it was recommended to disconnect the rear sway bar for better "articulation", maybe it was,,. thanks again all, Ben

Reply to
Ben-town