XJ Jeep spring replacement. Is it necessary?

I got a question for anyone with some XJ insight.

I just got a nice '96 green 2-dr, 5 speed w/ 145,000 mi. on it, and I want to do some repairs and add some mods to it before I put it on the road as a daily driver, as a replacement for my civic.

As is, I can't even ride in it because the suspension is so bad! It hurts the back, and is also dangerous.

The vehicle has also never had a wheel upgrade, so this is one definite immediate must for better handling performance (should I try to go 16" or + or just upgrade to some nicer stock aluminum 15" cherokee wheels with 235/70/15's or whatever?) My MAIN question is, however, the suspension. Should I just put nice new shocks all around and a simple add a leaf in back, and can I then still count on some good road handling and cornering, or should I most likely replace all springs too?? I know the condition of the springs could determine this answer, but I'm sort of looking for a simple answer for a light duty, good condition, city Cherokee..

Anyway, anone get my drift?? I want to do it good! Somebody was saying go Old Man Emu also. A local 4x4 center here in Mass told me, however, that at higher road speeds it wasn't a great handler, and is better known for a soft feel.

I like to have both: High speed performance handling, along with a cush, comfy ride when rolling through the multitude of potholes that I hit daily driving in Boston! OK, I'll leave it at that.. or how bout Rubicon Express?? BDS?, I don't know!?! I guess I need more advice. peace, thank you, Ben

Reply to
Ben-town