XJ windshield question

The single most troublesome part on the Cherokee is one with no moving parts, the windshield.

I'm on the 4th one. First one cracked for no apparent reason somewhere around 160,000 miles, in the following 150,000 or so miles it's been replaced two more times, each time for rock chips that developed cracks serious cracks.

Am I just unlucky (two stone chips in three days a couple of weeks ago)? Would a air deflector on the front make a difference? Are some brands of windshield tougher than others?

Thanks,

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

No.

Are some

And, no.

You wanna talk about bad luck, I had some dipshit THROW a rock at my car while I was driving it, and the windshiled (obviously) broke as a result of the direct hit. I bought (insurance paid) a new windshield on Wednesday afternoon. I drove to work and back (40 miles each way) on Thursday and Friday. The car was parked all day Saturday and Sunday. On the drive to work on Monday, the car was totalled. The windshield survived the wreck.

Less than 100 miles on the $100 deductable that I had to pay for the $400 windshield. Now, that's bad luck. Quit your whining. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yeah.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

No. I told you, Bimmer.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Except for the crack every single one of incidents happened on I-40 on my way to or from work, I try to stay away from anything remotely resembling construction trucks but in traffic it can be tough. One of these hits happened with no trucks in sight at all.

There must be something about me that just attracts rocks... sometimes I feel like Charlie Brown on Halloween .

Jeff DeWitt

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

And here I thought it was the radio.

Not unlucky, it is just that random events tend to look like they are clustered together. If the events were uniform distanecs apart they wouldn't be random.

Unless, of course, you tend to tailgate trucks laden with crushed stone. In that case you get what you deserve.

I can't see where it would help much. I've driven into pebbles that were thrown laterally by truck tires and a 5-ton that I sometimes drive has a stone chip about 8' above the ground.

I think that for all practical purposes in the case of windshields, glass is glass is glass. Don't forget that your XJ windshield is part of the passenger restraint system and is designed to break in a controlled manner. If it didn't give, anything squishy that got loose during a crash would go *splat*.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

tw

Reply to