YJ inside lamp question.

I found a light under the dash of my wie's 93 YJ. Bulb's good, but no light. What enables this light?

Reply to
Jeepers

Door ajar switches enable lights, should be one on each side of the dash and on the same circuit and fuse as rear dome light on a hardtop model.

Reply to
gbray

Turn (rotate) the light switch and it will turn on the inside lights.

Mike

Jeepers wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

If you're referring to the interior footwell lights, they're activated by the door switches. If you pull the doors they're on all the time so many of them have had the wires removed. The switches themselves are pieces of junk, so often when you pull the connector the guts of the switch comes out.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hey, I put the doors back on the CJ5 today 'cuz I was freezing my @$$ off!

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

O.K., maybe I left something out. The Jeep has a sound-bar with overhead lights. The door switch (or dash light wheel) does not activate any lights anywhere ('cept the dash lights), even with the door switch enabled. Perhaps something was done when the sound bar was installed? The sound bar's lamps only light when their switches are pushed. There is only the one light under the driver's side - no door switch or lamp on passenger side. I pulled it and checked the bulb, it's o.k.. I traced the two wires into the loom. The socket looked fine. The YJ is in pretty good condition, it was garage kept and had less than 80,000 miles and little or no actual four wheeling.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Could you clarify - whiskey chest.

The fuse panel doesn't have a "door sw defeat".

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

She keeps gloves in it. And a manual for the YJ.

4 has a fuse in it, it's good. They are all good. I'll check the continuity in the a.m. tho.

numbered across from the top left:

1 rear wiper N/A 2? 3 stop lamp & buzzer

4 turn signal lamps 5 auto shutdown, fuel pump relay, ecm 6 heated rear window N/A

7 lighter, radio, radio illumination 8 headlamps, exterior lamps, radio relay 9 buzzer, guages, warning lights, relays & back-up lamps

10 panel, illumination lamps 11 wiper & washers 12 heater & a/c

Reply to
Jeepers

Hahahaha thanks. :-)

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

On the 93 YJ, the interior light diagram is...

Good luck, Nelson

89YJ

Reply to
Nelson

On my 89 YJ the switch was bad. So I ordered a new switch from the dealer. But I figured the one little light under the dash was not going to be enough, so I put in 4 interior lights, one in the driver's foot well, one in the passenger's foot well, and 2 for the back seat area (right behind the roll bar). End's up the wiring was screwed up and the lights wouldn't go on with the illumintor switch, so I put a manual on/off switch on the dash. So now the lights go on when the driver's door is open, or if you hit the switch on the dash. Plus I made sure the new interior lights had their own swtiches so I could make sure they were off when I was driving without the doors on.

Reply to
Mark12211

Sweet.

I just found out the cigarette lighter is dead. Don't know if it's the circuit or lighter.

Reply to
Jeepers

When I picked up my '95 YJ, both the radio and the lighter were inop. I changed one fuse and both started working again.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

I haven't checked all the circuits, but I checked all the fuses. The aftermarket radio is off the clock circuit.

I had a 76 FLH shovelhead. I miss it, sometimes.

Reply to
Jeepers