ZJ recommended regular maintenance

I bought a used 1997 ZJ three years ago, and thinking about it, I've let maintenance slip quite a bit -- that is, I did regular oil changes, and that's just about it. The previous owner should me the work sheet from a pretty major tune-up at around 70k miles, but I'm up to 120k now. I just put on new rotors and pads in the rear, and new parking brake shoes, and as that was pretty easy to do, it got me into thinking that maybe I could spend some more time doing some easy tune-ups, if they would do the car good.

It's a 2WD and only used on the road. Generally, I follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" strategy, but then with cars I guess there are things you better change while they're still good, when they break they can cause a whole lot of damage (and the hassle of having a broken car, too). Timing belt is something which comes to my mind, though that's probably not DIY for me.

So I'd like to get some opinion on these items I can think of, additional suggestions welcome.

  • spark plugs -- I guess one is supposed to change them once in a while, though the engine is running just fine
  • spark plug cables, distributor -- again, everything's working fine, so I don't see much of a point?
  • grease -- haven't done a thing, but I guess this is an item where you'll only notice once it's too late. And where -- drive shaft and suspension joints is all I can think of (and I've no clue, really, but then using a grease gun probably isn't too hard)
  • differential fluid. I only have a rear differential, the one with the rubber plug, and it's slightly leaking from the plug. I'd guess a new plug will help. I guess it may be a good idea to change the fluid at the time? What's recommended, new gasket or just the silicone stuff? By the way, he differential also makes a whining sound under no load (basically, when I push on the gas and the car accelerates it's quiet, when I let go off the gas completely, so the engine slightly brakes, it's fine, but with just a little bit of gas it makes that sound. But it's been doing this since I bought the car, so it can't be too harmful?)
  • automatic transmission fluid -- worth changing? And how hard is that diy?
  • air filter -- that's an easy one, and may be worth it?
  • brake fluid -- another item, where I don't have any problems, so I don't really see any reason to mess with it.

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff, pointers welcome. Also, how about more serious items like timing belt etc -- anything I should take it to the shop for?

Lots of questions, I know...

Reply to
kaig

These intervals are for the WJ that I drive but I assume yours is similar. In recent years some of the service interval recommendations have been extended, some shortened.

Generally, I follow the "if it

I prefer to work on the vehicle in the summertime at my leisure than broken don in the snow in February.

I change them every 2 years/30k. I prefer Bosch Platinums

Less commonly needed, be sure to clean the rotor and cap, check for evidence of spark tracks

Every oil change

Severe service interval is 1 year, normal service 30k miles. You can use a gasket or RTV. It is kinda a messy job, synthetic tolerate long change intervals better but costs substantially more. Because of the noise..while you have it open check for damage. If it was noise free I might say leave the cover on and use a suction pump via the filler hole but if i is noisy you need to take a look inside.

You take the bolts loose on the pan, drain, replace the filter, bolt it back up, add fluid. the only consideration is spilling 4-5 quarts of tranny fluid on the ground. Check your manual for fluid recommendations. It probably says ATF+3. If so you can use that or the new ATF+4. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER KINDS INCLUDING DEXTRON What I mean is don't use something that says in small print on the back 'meets atf+3, or 'universal'. The front label should say in big letters ATF+3 (or 4)

Every 2 years/30k during your every 2 year/30k tuneup or more often if needed. Hold it up to the light, if you cannot see light coming through it is time to pitch.

Think again. Every 2 years. Use the new synthetic DOT 4. It takes a quart for the flush and the synthetic will cost an extra $1 I can probably guarantee what you have how is black and has floaters, it should be clear.

Power steering fluid every 2 years. Carefully pull the return line or siphon the old stuff, drive a bit, repeat 2-3 times. Use the new synthetic (costs 50 cents a quart more) and the pump will run quieter.

Reply to
billy ray
**Bill have you got a ZJ maintenance schedule?
Reply to
billy ray

If you want to save your self from a big mess when changing your ATF fluid. Go to any auto parts store and buy a hand pump for about 5 bucks, slide the tubing down your ATF fill tube and pump out 3 or so quarts before unbolting your pan.

Take it easy......John

Reply to
JRK58

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

It is in the factory manual, which if the OP is gonna do their own maintenance they should not be without. Still available at techauthority.com

I'd shoot you a copy but sadly I really haven't gotten around to replacing a flatbed scanner that gave up the ghost over a year ago.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to