'03-04 Rio Cinco/RX-V? better than previous version?

Hi all,

I've read horror stories about the first version of the Rio Cinco, RX-V. (In Canada, it is sold as the RX-V). The front brakes being a big problem, and the fact the whole car is based on the Ford Aspire platform (the 1.5 engine probably was not the best choice either).

Just curious, the newer design RX-V in Canada comes well equipped, alloy wheels being standard on two different trim levels at a price that is incredible. The better version comes with roof rack, power windows-mirrors and heated mirrors and AC come on both models. I drove one, and it was very similar to the Hyundai Accent, I guess cuz it shares the same engine now (the 1.6 is a decent powerplant).

But I wonder if Kia has improved on all the things people were complaining about in the Rio:

1- Burnt caramel smell of the interior 2- Lots of brake problems 3- Batteries not being reliable 4- Overall reliablity 5- Squeaks and rattles because of poor trim clips, etc...

Overall, I like the design, it looks alright, I love the room and the fuel mileage is decent.

I wonder what the 2005 model will be like, this will be the new version I suspect (I've read the new 2005 model will be based on the new Accent platform.

I drive a 1987 Volvo 760GLE now, great car, but old and eventually I have to retire it with something I can afford, and I'd really like a new car for a change.

Thanks

Reply to
Davis Redding