2001 Kia Sportage RPMs

I have a 2001 Kia Sportage and within the last week a new problem has arised. I was driving on the interstate and the RPMs went to zero. The engine was still running, it would not pick up speed, but it did not lose any speed, it just coasted at the speed it had already reached. The engine light was flashing, so I took it in.

The codes were the spark plugs 1 & 4, the wires to the spark plugs and the coil. I had the mechanic change the coil and I changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, and thermostat. (The temperature gage has not shown signs of the engine overheating at all.) This seemed to fix the problem for three days. Then the exact same senario--the only difference was the air conditioner was on. The plugs are firing and the codes came back the same.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Has this happen to anyone else?

Thanks

Reply to
kimebear

Did you have someone check the transmission and its related sensors/meters? I had a similar problem with a Ford Escort. I was going along at 100 Km/hour when all of a sudden the speedometer went to zero even though I was maintaining my speed. Turns out that my transmission had suffered a partial failure. I got home alright but the next day I could not get the car out of first gear.

Reply to
Tim Lapin