Sportage dash lights dead....

Hi all, I have a 98 sportage, and the dashboard lights are very intermittent. They don't usually come on and when they do they will often go out after hitting a bump or for no obvious reason. It seems that it may be related to the dimmer knob on the dash, as on the few occasions that they came on, they went out when I fooled with it. The original owner had this problem since the vehicle was 2 or 3 years old.

Before I go into the dash to track this down, I am wondering if this is a known or a common problem with these trucks, and if so, what the most likely causes are.

Thanks for any ideas!

AL

Reply to
Al A.

check the switch, it comes out real easy. it's jusr pushed in and held with a couple of pastic tabs. becarful not to snap them, you need them. sounds like the connector is loose. you might be able to just push it in from underneath. if you put the seat all the way back, and lay on the floor with your head by the brake pedal, and reach in there you should be able to feel a connector on the back of the dimmer. it has a lock tab on it also. try wiggling it, then push it in and see if it seats. or it could be the dash ground lug is loose. I'm not sure where that is, but all the wires run through the same area. I had a simiaiar problem with the factory fog lights, the connector wasn't pushed in all the way.

Reply to
helix

Thanks for the reply. I will check that stuff out later today. Much appreciated!

-AL

Reply to
Al A.

Al:

Was this the actual problem...ironically so, I have a 95 Kia Sportage EX that I bought from the dealer as a demo car in 95, and have had this problem...I looked all through the dashboard, as well as even told Kia...the Service personnel couldn't even correct it!

All info. is appreciated...

Chuck D.

Reply to
Charles_DeVault