99 Kia Sephia Ignition Troubleshooting

Hi,

My son has a 99 Sepha 1.8 4cyl automatic.

It burns oil like a furnace, but has always started and ran great.

One morning it started but had a really bad miss. We checked it out, and it was running only on the 2 cylinders on the right side. We checked out the coils, and neither plug on the left side was firing. I assumed it was bad, so we got a new one. We were mystified when the new coil didn't fire either. It's now obvious that the left side coil is not getting a primary signal to fire.

My question is, what do we need to check next? What triggers the primary firing signal to the coil, and where is it located? The distributor-less ignition has me stumped!

Thanks in advance for your help, and merry Christmas! -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins