Re: 1995 Kia Sephia Overheating

make sure the electric fan on the radiator works. It should cycle on and off as engine temperature rises and falls. It should DEFINATELY be running when the car is "overheated". If it's not, then that's the problem.

I am getting intermittent overheating on this car. It's a 5-speed, >92,000 miles, water pump replaced at 80,000. Now has a new thermostat >and radiator cap. Hoses seem to be fine. > >The temperature gauge readout is normally just below the midpoint. It >will creep up to the midpoint, and I experience boilover at the >overflow tank. I have not been running the air conditioning; ambient >temperature has been about 85 deg. F., and it is more noticeable at >idle. When it's overheating, if I go from a stop to driving speed, >the temperature gauge readout drops as well. > >This occurs during a 6-mile commute, driving at 55 mph, with about 6 >stops. > >I've replaced several things on the car; the problem goes away, and >then it's back. Any suggestions?
Reply to
schucha

Sounds like the electric radiator cooling fan is not running. It comes on with a temperature switch on the thermostat housing and a relay in the power box under the hood. Check the motor first, see if you can spin it by hand. Then check the relay. The temp switch would be last on my list.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

thats a lot miles bud do u have the righty presure d cap and did u check your fans remeber that one fan is for a/c and will not work if a/c is off so dont go running out to get one its ok ,,,,,,and your radiator is plastic they are cheap to replace and they are known to go bad faster then the old kind it may need to be cored

Reply to
BobBob