Re: KIA - Would you buy again?

I think the Sorento is in a new class of vehicles from Kia. We've been very impressed by the Sedona, which shares the same engine, I believe. We would buy it again over anything else on the road at the same price. I would look at the newest Toyota or Nissan vans, but the price delta would be enormous.

OTOH, I'd review carefully the roadside assistance plan for your type of operation (e.g., Will they come get you out in the woods near some good rocks for scrambling if something malfunctions?). Other vehicles in the class may have a history from which to draw conclusions about reliability, and/or a better support plan for offroad recreation.

Based upon past experience, I would never even consider a DC product, especially for reliability. That said, you have had a good experience with them. So, maybe consumer bias toward and against manufacturers is all a matter of perspective.

> I am considering a Sorento. Has all the features, but the bad PR has > me thinking cautiously. > I have noticed that a lot of the posts relating to stalling, brakes > etc are dated 2-3 years ago. > > Have they got their quality control up to the norm yet? or do they > still have a long way to go? > > I live in southern Nevada plan to take the dirt roads, where other > vehicles/rescue are few and far between. Driving to back country > trailheads for hiking, rock scrambling, etc. > > Vehicle failures that are considered "normal" can be life threatening. > Dependability is a MUST. > > As a comparison, my current vehicle, a Plymouth Neon, though never > taken off road, has never let me down in 7 years, and 65,000 miles. > > If you had to do it again, would you buy another Kia? > > > > > > > > > > > > > Remove the "FOUR YOU" in my email to reply.
Reply to
Robert Henry

I have my Sorento EX with the Luxe package since May. I have driven 16,000km so far (10,000 miles) and have had no problems.

The vehicle is impeccable. Those who critique the Sorento negatively most probably have not seen one up close, let alone driven it.

I share many`s concern for reliability, since KIA is a relatively new comer in the Canadian market with the Sorento, and decided to lease rather than buy

Ron

Reply to
TBK

No. Definitely not. It appears that price should not be the main factor in making a purchase.... as my Grandfather used to say, "If you plant corn you get corn". (i.e. you get what you pay for)

I have a 2001 Optima SE. I have had it about 20 months, It has 44,000 mi. It's been back to the dealer ALLOT, and I am very good to my vehicles. Example, clutch at 17k, window regulators several times, outside rear view mirror TWICE, fuel tank sensor.......

On top of this, I still owe 11k. Book value is only 8k.

Buy the Honda or Toyota or something and spare yourself the grief.

Reply to
T. D.

I am not sure why you would want a station wagon to take offroad. The Sorrento, Toyota RX330 and Highlander, Nissan Murano and FX45, the BMW whateveritis, and those types of cars are all nice, but I can't imagine going into the desert with them.

IMO, I'd take a real off-road workhorse with me. If you can, spring for a Land Rover model, as they have many years of experience in the back woods of Africa and Asia. Other than that, I had great experience with my mid 90's GMC and I know many who have the older model Toyota 4-runners and Nissan Pathfinders. The Ford Exploers, IMO ar too big and heavy for serious rock crawling.

Reply to
Kai Ponte

Stop right here. What is your budget?

If it must run or I'm FUBAR is a requirement, then you need to look at someting built like a tank - like an old Toyota FJ series Land Cruiser or an International Scout or old 1970's Bronco.

No computers. No silly crap. No smog equipment. Runs forever.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander