Sedona 2.9 CRDi Auto UK

Kia Sedona 2.9CRDi Auto LS 25 September 2006

This is updated from 11 Sept.

Have had the vehicle 25 days now, collected with 8 miles on clock. The dealer handed over with quarter full diesel. I filled the tank at

20miles, now done 396 since, filled up today 68 Ltr or 14.96 Gln, this equates to 26.33 MPG. I waited till the fuel warning lamp came on before filling up, so the difference is 12Ltr for the 80 Ltr tank. I now know how much diesel is in the tank when the warning lamp comes on. I have been driving carefully, and was hoping for 29 MPG, my next refill may show better result, engines a bit tight at the moment.

I have filled up again at 685 miles with 10.34 Gln this now equates to 28.14 MPG.

I know it will get more than that, but remember these are realistic overall figures this means standing in traffic queues etc., and it's an automatic.

However the Temperature Gauge is reading about 12% below normal, but it is consistent. I will need to have this checked out, in case the coolant isn't at normal temp. This could cause premature engine wear, and use more fuel.

The windscreen wipers miss a segment about 60mm wide arcing upwards 125mm right in front of the passenger. Also when I cleaned the car on the 10th September I noticed a scratch on the windscreen, in front of the passenger, I know I didn't do it. However on close inspection a number of flaws were detected inside the glass, the dealership have ordered a new windscreen, and will let me know when it arrives.

The car runs very well, the brakes are very good, the steering is light and accurate, the turning circle is far better than my Freelander 1. So far in general the Sedona is a nice car, quiet running, no bad vibrations, the wheels are well balanced. The suspension is well controlled at the front by the dampers, since the design load is more constant, but the rear seems less controlled, with more fidgety vertical movement.

The 5 speed auto box is doing well, but I assist by dropping down manually on some of the inclines while the bearings are bedding in. The top ratio is nice and high giving about 35mph per 1000rpm, and it gets into this about

40mph, that's OK when run in, but a little high at the moment.

Just one more thing though, I ordered it with tow bar, but unknown to the dealership there won't be any until the end of September, apparently Kia Motors have not tested them yet, let alone produced any. Let's hope they keep their promise, I need a tow bar, and only a Kia one will do.

I have found a Safety related problem just today, 25 September, the rear passenger doors won't Open from the inside or outside under the following conditions:-

1 Child safety lock off.

2 Power On/Off switch in the Off position.

3.Doors unlocked.

The handbook quiet rightly says, under these conditions the doors should be operable.

This means without the use of electrical power.

I followed handbook instructions, re shunt removal for 1 minute, but it made no difference.

I shall at this stage pass on this information to the dealership for their comments, and Kia Motors to comment on any of my findings.

I hope to give more information at the end September or early October.

Gordon.

Reply to
Spanner

I have a Hyundai Entourage which is basically a rebadged twin of the Sedona here in the US.

I have found the power sliding doors a bit weird to get used to but the only time they don't work is when the car is NOT in PARK. I imagine it is a safety feature of sorts. This seems to be true regardless of when the power feature is on or off.

For example my wife picked me up from the airport a few weeks ago and and when she pulled up to the curb I grabbed the handle to the side door and gave it a tug and nothing happened. As soon as she put it in Park it worked properly. I don't think this is in the book at all.

The other weird thing with these power doors is that they won't open all of the way if the windows are down more than a crack. This is covered in the manual. I imagine it is because the window takes up space inside the door where the mechinism that opens the door all the way needs to be.

There is a forum for Entourage and Sedona owners at

Stop by sometime sincethere aren't any members from that side of the pond.

Reply to
art.obrien

I have just been out to the car to try it with gear lever in P. The rear doors still won't open without the Power Switch being in the On position. Once opened with the power on, it is possible to close them with the power switched off.

Gordon

Reply to
Spanner