Sedona: sudden acceleration in reverse?

Hello, all. Has anyone experienced sudden acceleration when in reverse gear in their Sedona? My wife drives our '02 Sedona and at least five times in the past year, the car has surged while in reverse. The first time or two, she was open to the possibility that she inadvertently hit the gas. But after that, she was careful to keep her foot on the brake in all reverse situations and it continued to occasionally accelerate without warning.

We're so concerned about this, we've reported the problem to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. Also, found a defect investigation on the NHTSA.gov site regarding accelerator surging problems reported for '02 Sedonas. However, there's no mention of whether these involve reverse gear. It only happens to us when the vehicle is in reverse.

Any reports of similar occurences would be helpful. In fact, if it has happened to you, I suggest you visit

and fill out a consumer complaint form online.

Reply to
Carl Graziano

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:05:14 GMT, someone posing as Carl Graziano chisled in the wall:

Wierd, no. I haven't noticed this at all. Though, I usually don't drive in reverse. :)

Haven't heard of this either, though I do drive fowards. (See above note.) I wonder how common this is. Only thing I've noticed is that - on rare occasions - my engine will seem to "surge" (using your term) while I'm at idle. This will only happen for a split second, however, and I have attributed it to maybe dirty injectors or the knock system pumping more O2 into the mis.

Reply to
filesiteguy

No, this is much more extreme than a split second surge in the idle speed. The van bolts backward, as if someone stepped hard on the gas. Thanks for the response.

Carl

Reply to
cgrazian