Spectra5, 1st 1500 miles

And still liking it. It is a comfortable little car, quiet and smooth riding at freeway speeds. Have no trouble getting up to freeway speeds even with the AC on. T

Reply to
Paul O.

And still liking it. It is a comfortable little car, quiet and smooth riding at freeway speeds. Have no trouble getting up to freeway speeds even with the AC on. At 70 mph it just sails along. Fortunately, they don't make small economy cars like they used to. If I had to complain about something I guess it would be that the window ledge with the window up isn't wide enough to be comfortable for resting your arm on. Maybe just because it's new, and fun to drive, the wife and I prefer driving it to our 04 Pontiac GP. Gas mileage for the first 5 tanks is 29.22mpg and thats probably about 75% freeway driving. Now, a couple things I wonder about. If I remember correctly, in the maintance schedule, it says to change spark plugs at 50K, and timing belt at

60K. What's up with that? I don't recall seeing that in any schedule on a car I've had, at least for the first 100K. So all in all I'm still happy with decision to go Kia.

Paul O. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Paul O.

Re. Timing belt replacement at 60K. Some cars use what's officially known as a "Gilmer Belt" timing belt that drives the overhead cams in the engine. Old Detroit V8's with OHV (Overhead Valve) designs used a timing chain, and other cars with OHC (Overhead Cam) designs use timing chains as well. Many cars, however, still use a timing belt, which is a toothed fiberglass-reinforced rubber belt. Although the belt will last longer than 60K miles under normal usage, to maintain your warranty - replace it at the recommended interval. If it should break, you will have major engine repairs. Your car's engine is what is known as an "interference engine." This means that if the timing belt breaks, the valves will hit the top of the pistons - hence, a very costly repair.

Replace the belt when instructed, and all will be OK.

Reply to
Don