warranty work

a week ago my 2000 Spectra engine lite came on, then the engine began to run rough, and so today I drove 80 miles to my nearest KIA dealer for an in-warranty
repair.
I arrive and the dealership is almost empty. One customer waiting in the service lounge. I waited until the service mngr. came, told him my situation. They quickly read the computer code (110 engine cyl misfire) and found the problem. The plug wires (there are only two) were falling apart from heat and general rot..then he informs me that these are not covered by my 5 year/60,000 mile warranty, nor is the labor...so, I had to pay $90.00 for what I expected to be a free repair. What went wrong here? Is it just me or have I been taken? H
Spark plug wires wear out - just like brake pads and windshield wipers. Normally I switch them out at 50K - 60K miles. Probably not a warranty item.
Jamie

run
wires
nor
You didn't mention the mileage you have, but the same thing happened to me on my Optima at about 40k.
Same thing, I was pissed about the warranty thing, but I read the fine print, but belts, hoses stuff were only covered by a 2 year /24k warranty.
The dealer wanted to order the wires, it was about 48 bucks (as you said, just 2 wires). I told 'em to screw.
I cleaned the wires, hosed them with silicon, and got by for 3 days until I got some NGK wires from this place:
http://www.kia-automotive-parts.com
They are higher quality than the original wires and were only 26 bucks.
In another 15 k or so I'm gonna order another set to have on hand.

run
wires
nor
To my knowledge, Hyundai plug wires are 5/60. I've replaced many under warranty with nothing being said.
Kia, on the other hand, is 2/24 (I think) on the wires. I don't remember exactly what it was, but there was a warranty memo regarding wires and their coverage.
164,000 and 14 years ago my spark plug wires were new. And STILL Performing like new. And all 8 of them plus the coil wire costs less than $60 to buy all new ones. Takes 15 minutes to change. Gotta Love that great GM feeling

run
wires
nor
Hey Mr. Right, you are posting in the wrong newsgroup ! But since you posted, of course your spark plugs were new 14 years ago. And if they are STILL performing like new now, why did you bother to change them? Some many wrongs cannot make a Mr. Right.

Jeff... what is the mileage on the car? You state its a Spectra... but if its from 2000...That would make it a Sephia. If there is less than 60,000 miles on it... contact Kia America, they would be able to tell you for sure. Incidentally... I used to work on GM's... do you know what G.M.C stands for???

quickly
he
my mileage is 41,000 car is a 2000 SPECTRA gsx 4 door hatchback. I know what car I bought!!!! WADR. The GSX that year had leather,tilt,cd 4-speaker(as opposed to th 6 speaker stereo later) outside trim upgrade, power doorlocks/windows etc. only 2-wheel disks, though so stopping is tougher than starting. I did buy a set of goodyear aquatread III's. A GREAT step up in handling and general capability (stoping/cornering,anti-skid). I think the Aquatreads are a great comprimise tire i.e. rain/snow. I literally pushed my trade-in into the KIA dealership. I had an old Volkswagen Fox I had bought new in 1988. I took me everywhere in Dixie for many years, but in 2002 the transmission fell apart. I had been shopping for about two weeks at the usual suspects dealerships, but found that the KIA people wanted to show their product. I had the paperwork filled out, ready to buy a new Civic, but Hondas salesguy didn't give a damn. Cash? whatever. Just hurry up and decide if you want the $120.00 floormats....Our KIA guy had been a Chicago city cop, been shot on the job, and now sold KIA. His fellow workers seemed enthusiastic. They themselves didn't care for the Rio, but they liked all other models: the Spectra/Sephia platform seemed well bolted down to me, if a little dated. After back-to back testing, If the Honda represents a "10" on the small-car scale {I'd give the $16,000 4-dr manual EX a 9}, the spectra w/manual trans. was an 8.25 or so. Not bad at all. Now, with good rubber, it is as stable as any 2000 model under $14,000 new. Brakes are its built-in weakness (they're not dangerous, but could be better), later addressed by an upgrade. Lotus is said to have "tuned" the suspension. With the new tires replacing the Kumho tires that were on ours (it had 18,000 on it when I bought it.) handling on our sometimes slippery roads in the mistyVirginia Appalachian mountains.

the
rot..then
warranty,
free
Sorry Jeff... Up here in Canada the Spectra didn't arrive untill 2002, I guess you had them earlier in the States and we have never had a leather option... sounds like you got a nice car! Double check with Kia America through their web site and let us know how you make out!
Cheers

began
in-warranty
plug

I know that feeling!
- Doh! I pulled into a parking spot and the car wont go into reverse anymore - I feel woozy... it must be time to add another floormat to block the exhaust fumes from coming in. - This steering is sloppier than a 4 scoop cone in an August heatwave! - boy my wallet feels empty from filling up the tank on this 8 cylinder gobbler.
Gotta love it? No thanks, I think I will learn from my mistakes old man. As troublesome as my KIA was (an item or two needed to be addressed at each oil change for the first year or so of ownership), it was all n/c warranty, and I never thought of saying "gee I wish I had a GM!".

quickly
he