10/10 for effort...

On or around 9 Jul 2006 02:12:21 -0700, "Teeafit" enlightened us thusly:

I've no problem with 20 mph and rigid enforcement and harsh penalties outside schools - provided it only applies at times when there are people there, like during term time in the morning at arrival time, at lunchtime probably, and at hometime. At all other times, the limit doesn't apply and the camera is turned off.

fixed limits are in any case more or less pointless and only give you a correct safe maximum speed some of the time. At other times the limit may be unnecessarily slow or dangerously fast.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Gawd man, that's too sensible and think about the loss of income!

Reply to
Dougal

That's a little harsh, many people wouldn't survive two years on a motorbike, by which I assume you mean a moped type thing not a 1500cc sports bike...

Agreed. It strikes me as ludicrus that I passed my test, on the first attempt, at the tender age of 17 1/2 nearly 30 years ago. My licence has

24 years left to run (to my 70th birthday). There have been massive changes in the Law and driving practice since then. Something to bring people up to date with the changes can only be a good thing IMHO.

I haven't the faintest idea what the current driving test is like other than there is a multiple guess theory part now as well as the "drive around the block".

Aye.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the problem with that is...? :-) Might do something to address the unbalance in Darwinian theory in the human population!

I do think our test is pathetically easy to pass. For a start I don't think anyone should be allowed on a motorway until they have driven on one under instruction/test conditions. Anyone who drives regularly on the continent will realise how appallingly badly UK drivers are at driving on the motorway compared to their European counterparts.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

The flaw in that excellent idea is that there are considerable areas of the UK where motorways don't exist, so how do you train/test someone who lives in (f'rinstance) West Wales, East Anglia or the Scottish Highlands? Even here on the North York Moors it's a 70 mile round trip to the A1(M).

GRAEME ALDOUS Yorkshire

Reply to
Teeafit

We seem to manage it for other things that require teaching. People travel all over the country to attend teaching/training sessions. I can't see distance as being an overwhelming problem.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Hmm, hard one to answer that. If someone is being taught how to drive a car, how can they possibly get from one place to another! A real head scratcher ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Don't have a problem with that, my trouble is the doting parents who seem to think the parking restrictions @ or near schools are so they can stop and collect their misbegotten offspring.

Reply to
GbH

On or around Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:26:22 GMT, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, that and the speed limits etc. apply to everyone else. 's like ruddy Le Mans in the old days at times.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:11:51 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but the ones that survive would raise the level of driving and general courtesy and so forth...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As for the Chelsea tractors? Best not get us started!

Reply to
GbH