101 Eberspacher troubles

Eventually managed to get the thing working today on heat setting. Have repiped all the fuel lines, as the old ones were more leaky than a sieve!

However, I switch it on, everything runs, fuel is delivered and it ignites and begins to heat up, for 2-3 minutes, then it cuts out. Switch it off, leave it 10 minutes and it does the same thing. Worked through troubleshooting and came to the conclusion that the temperature probe must be sticking as this seems to tell the controller it has lit. My thoughts were that if it sticks, the control box thinks it hasn't lit and shuts it down to prevent any explosion etc.

Disconnected the temperature probe and began unscrewing to see if a clean would cure it, when it literally fell apart.......

Any ideas where I can get a new one. Have so far found 1 place on t'internet that sells spares, rthursby.co.uk and they want nearly £100.

The bit that is bust is the probe at the opposite end to the combustion chamber.

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

So I wasnt the only person messing with eberspachers today? :)

I got mine working and got so hot working out in the ambi today that i had to take my coat off :)

I initially thought that i was going to have to post about mine shutting off - as the first couple of times i got it started it cut out after about 10 minutes - I traced this to a flat battery though.

Mine didnt cut off fully all at once - The pumps would generally stop

- either suddenly or gradually. The fan would keep working though. Turn it all off and it would work again in 10 minutes (after the battery had presumably recovered a bit)

Is yours cutting off totally all of a sudden?

There is also the thermostat in the back which can turn the heater off (I currently have mine removed and just have the wires joined)

I found today that i could do with a new spark plug for mine (i presume it is a spark plug?). Which i think explains why it takes ages to start getting hot sometimes (i counted 3 minutes thismorning)

There is a coily bit that runs down around the centre bit of it and that had rusted away and was just tangled up in the end of the plug when i removed it to try and clean it.

You see the odd ambi eber on ebay.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right then, Morphs Eber started blowing cold all by it's self (without the switch on) whats that all about then?

Er... and I also been suffering from failure to stay lit, but I've been messing around doing the heads recently so I've got to check the pump wiring as thats first suspect.

Well charged up batteries are a must for Eber tinkering. And Tom's plan to join the thermo wires also eliminates another potential problem in the making.

Who found a Eber geezer on eber ebay selling bit's? Wonder if he has a probe your after. Failing that Al may have a defunct Eber tucked away in his garage... got about everything else in there.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

">> I found today that i could do with a new spark plug for mine (i

It's not a spark plug, its a glow plug, and the coily bit is the conductor. If this is broken then the plug is dead.

Reply to
SimonJ

Thanks. I wasnt convinced it was a spark plug - but it had more wires than i thought a glow plug should and one of them looked a bit like a mini HT lead!

Is this glow plug only used to start the heater? It takes 2-3 mins to start from cold (I was told 1 min was normal) and the exhaust belches out a lot of smoke when started.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes, once it has started the flame keeps it glowing, and ignites the fuel.

It should start in less than a minute, try it with a new plug and see if it improves things.

Reply to
SimonJ

Mine usually fires up within the minute.... but are we sure it's a glow plug? This is Petrol Ebershapachers we are talking about and not diesel ones. Looks pretty sparkplugish to me...

The manual lists both , "glow plug" and "glow spark plug" depending on which heater you have. The 101 ones are petrol which along with the "ignition coil" tends to point towards the "glow spark plug". Still not 100% clear but getting there. If any one doesn't have the manuals I can wang them over.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Emailed your sim on i address with the trouble shooting guide.

Reply to
Lee_D

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:22:19 -0000, "Lee_D" scribbled the following nonsense:

thanks

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:18:25 +0000, Tom Woods scribbled the following nonsense:

yes, everything stops after 2ish minutes, pump, fan the lot

Have done the same, especially as the thermostat is missing!

They're about £50 from the rthursby chap I found....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I have a heater from a 101. this is a petrol heater. The glow plig has a short ht lead from it and there are two connections on the wireing loom which I assume atre all for a coil. I have no coil. Is this a standard HT coil ie can I use the coil off an old mini? Any help!

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Ahh, well........ In that case.......

I have only ever dealt with Diesel powered erbys, which definitely have glowplugs. Cant help you on the petrol one, but could quite well be a sparkplug.

Reply to
SimonJ