eberspacher sparkplugs

why are they so expensive?

I have just found that it is £40 for a new spark plug for the eber' in the 101 ambi. While the plug does have a little bit more metal work round it than a normal plug (there is a metal surround for the spark to earth to rather than just a 'leg') i cant see why it costs so much more than a normal plug?

My eber will just about fire up with the current plug (which has lost some of its earth metal), but it takes a few tries and it backfires a bit before catching (which scares me!). Is this likely to hurt the heater?. Once it is warm it seems fine.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:20:22 +0000, Tom Woods scribbled the following nonsense:

just wait until the heat sensor that tells it the thing is lit breaks..... the price makes a £40 glow plug seem cheap. ISTR i was quoted over £100

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

dont say that it might hear you!

Despite being hard to start and making me dive for cover when it backfired it still kept the back of the 101 at a toasty 25C with the back door open! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 23:02:15 +0000, Tom Woods scribbled the following nonsense:

I found out the hard way, it was not working, so had to look for prices......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Can someone tell me how to turn it on? I am faced with a bewildering array of switches, Lee did great job of showing me what was what but i'm at a loss with this thingy!!

Reply to
Nige

Make sure the battery is charged first... the one to the rear of the battery tray.

Pull the switch out 1 pull and it's just a cold fan

Pull it out to the 2nd pull and it's on heater.... you will hear the fuel pump ticking (just to the rear of the engine cover) and also the metering pump which is just inside the eber boxing. It should fire up after a minute or so where upon the Fan increases speed to fling the heat in the cab.

The thermostat is currently hidden behind the wooden pannel screwed to the bulkhead on the passenger side... I bunged it in there out of the way until I got around to relocating it but it's set on full.

DON'T charge the battery with a generator - I killed my last control box doing that.... frazzeled the transistors, they are about £250 new just for the control box.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Oh yeah... when you turn it off the fan continues until the heat exchanger gets to a safe temp to shut down too.

Reply to
Lee_D

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 20:13:18 -0000, "Nige" scribbled the following nonsense:

switches, Lee did great job

and bloody awesome when its freezing cold and you want to work on the vehicle

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

switches, Lee did great job

the switch should be in the centre dash above the heater matrix. 2 position pull switch. It is near the siren switch! :)

It should also have a bulb in it so it lights up when it is on! (just worked out how to change mine!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

switches, Lee did great job

i noticed while reading the wiring diagram trying to work out how to reconnect my control switch (ive moved it) that you can also set the eber to fun on full or half heat and there is also provision for a timer switch on it. The connctor that these go on is in the loom coming from the control box but has no wire on it in the 101.

(atleast i think im right with all this but it is kind of hard as the eber wiring diagram in the troubleshooting guide is for the diesel model and this actually bears more relation to the 101 cabling than the petrol one!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Does that battery not charge with road use then? Do i have to charge manually? I have a charger etc.

Which button/lever is anways, i forgot!!

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yes

Centre of the dash its the knob on the right nearest the brake reserviour.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well I'll be....! Never knew it had a bulb in... I feel cheated now ;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Can hairyscratchers be converted from one fuel to another ? Be cheap to run on heating paraffin instead of petrol.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

steve Taylor uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Do they really cost that much to run? LPG it ;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Neither did I!. i was sitting there thinking 'why is there a bulb in this wiring diagram', and 'what does this connector on the back of the switch do' and then i worked it out!

Reply to
Tom Woods

That'd be too much like hard work. I wanted to just change jets.

There'll be an on-board tank for the diesel enrichment system though ...

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

does the eber actually use much petrol? i wonder if there are fuel consumption figures somewhere in the destructions?

Ill be interested to see the LPG enrichent when you get it working! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Just used mine for the first time, cracking bit of kit, toasty warm in a few minutes.

All the work that Lee has done has turned Morph into the perfect Motocross vehicle, the bike hangs off the back, you have somewhere nice & warm to get changed etc. Plenty of room for mates etc. Top do!

Reply to
Nige

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:42:27 +0000, Tom Woods scribbled the following nonsense:

have a PDF scanned document for the B4, claims 0.62 l/h, +/- 5%!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs