101 Stand Missing at Billing

Had a good look round but couldn't find it, then tripped over 6 green things hiding in the grass :-(

What happened to all the colour - Yellow's, Blues, Oranges, Purples ?

Neil - Bumble bright yellow and black FC101.

Reply to
bumble101

I get the feeling there's been a rivet-counter take-over of the 101 club, with non-standard ones no longer welcome. That's just a feeling gathered from postings in the recent past from some 101 owners, not from direct experience so could be total s**te.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Well Tom's Silver streak is being rewired and generally rebuilt internally. Martyn was installing his Air con I've got the front axle in a zillion bits off Morph hoping to be done and road tested for Malvern (Though Morph doesn't currently fit in to the catagory of colourful - the more of this sort of stuff I read the more likely Morph will show his True colours ;-)) Simon made a number of trips to and fro due to RL in bURRt

I don't think Biling per say is high on any of our lists regardless of any club politics, I would have gone for a day (In the Renault!) for a walk around and see if owt had improved but our little'un had a party invite so again had to balance the need to burn £Money against keeping some balance with family. Family won.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:38:30 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

It's a feeling I too have gathered, and that partly from a certain well-known gent with a rather non-standard 101.

bloody silly, but there y'go.

roll on the ULRC stand, I say. And I still fancy forming the PLRC - Purple land rover club.

Any colour you can create by mixing red and blue paint will be allowed, and provided there's a credible amount of purple, other colours will be admitted too. Painting it all some other colour and having purple door handles will be regarded as taking the piss, though.

Any vehicle with a substantial LR mechanical content will be allowed as well, so things like Bowlers and other stuff will qualify, provided they have a good purple content.

reminds me, must take the bottom tailgate to town tomorrow and get the paint bloke to scan it, and mix me some paint.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Rock on.

I can feel a new camo design coming on - pink to aqua with every shade of lilac/purple in between :)

Reply to
William Tasso

A Rapier tractor in Martian Aerospace Defence Command markings?

They should have stuck with Land Rover, now it seems that anyone can land there.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Don't say that to a spear fishing suit designer or the next thing you know somebody will be wearing it in skin tight neoprine.

Some of their 'camo' designs are anything but low-vis.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Since I am both on the committee, and director and treasurer, I am pretty sure I can say that as Ian suggests, its total s**te. As the owner of two non-standard 101s (alright, one will be when its finished) I am hardly likely to be party to any takeover by the rivet counting tendency. Its a small community, people have to get along with each other.

There are enough 101s in existence that there is room for both the serious preservationist who wishes to keep an original vehicle, and those who wish to use the vehicle as a basis for highly personalised transport.

I fall in both camps ! The GS LOOKS authentic, unless you open the diff cage, smell the exhaust or turn the steering wheel....The ambi is completely different.

For those in the computing game, the 101 is the ultimate open source project.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

OK, not often I'm glad to be talking total s**te ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:07:58 +0100, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

now that would be cool...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:31:09 +0100, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

well, I'm glad to hear it. There are too many people against us to let such things divide us.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's been done - some North Atlantic convoy escorts were pink-to-purple.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

?? Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Very similar - I was thinking of HMS Bluebell, just before she was sunk off Murmansk. Which may say something about it's effectiveness...

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:31:09 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

too many black and white pictures though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

Poke your left eye sharply with your right forefinger .. colour abounds ... ;)

Empirical evidence so ymmv.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I'm actually kinda hopeful that within the next 2 or 3 weeks i will be able to start it and that the roof will have been fully re-clad and it will have majority of its wiring...

I painted my wheels tonight. now i just have to tidy up the front grille and wheel steps and remove the very rusty air tank and I reckon the exterior bautification phase is pretty much complete! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I'm not sure where this all came from, but it's actually putting me in a slightly uneasy position, being on the committee an all. Can I state for the record, that no such 'take over' has happened (quite the contrary, actually), and any comments I may have made about me possibly not being at any events are bugger all to do with the club (mind, I did wonder whether I'd be granted the honour of a ticket - but that's just down to poor communication).

It's no secret that there are 'things' going on within the 101 club (judging by some of the emails I've had recently, some people think it's a very hot topic), but it's nothing more serious than anything else that's been happening for the last 7 or 8 years and certainly not anything as serious as has happened to a few other clubs.

It's natural and healthy part of the organic growth of any club. At present there are differing views on the way some things should be done - so what? If everyone agreed on everything it would be a boring old place really.

FWIW, the club now has a record number of members (I'm quite proud of that, being Membership Secretary), but with this comes additional challenges and greater demands upon the time given voluntarily by those who are entrusted to 'run' the club.

Reply to
Mother

OK, just some posts you (and/or the occasional other) made, and the "unofficial" club hinted at that. I reserve the right to put two and two together and make eight bazillion squillion, although knowing how easy it is to read the wrong thing into something I qualified my minor suspicion to make it plain it was just a suspicion. I know what classic vehicle owners can be like, glad the 101 club's not moving in the direction of some of the pre-war vintage clubs have, condemning their cars to a living death in glass houses.

Seems I'm not the only one who thought that if you've had mails on it, so it's good to get that one knocked on the head. What with our "just and tolerant" society wandering around telling each other what to do all the bloody time it's nice to know the cynicism is wrong for once!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Granted the ULRC mandate can give the impression that some of us are totally fed-up with the politics and craperage that goes with established 'official' clubs, but it should also say on the ULRC site that it isn't an 'alternative', well, not toally so, erm IYSWIM.

The unoffical gatherings we've had over the last few years have worked very well and nobody wants to nail their name to them - they're a collective success and have a shared motivation - which has nothing to do with personality or politics. The new fork of ULRC will go live in a day or so, it's just called...

... PURPLE :-)

Reply to
Mother