Help please.... Series 3 88 hoop set install

Just got my series 3 88" hoop set. Of course no instructions just a box of parts and a box of nuts and bolts. Anybody have a good source for how to put this thing together? Thanks in advance.

Doug

Round Rock, Texas USA

Reply to
Doug

Best bet is the parts manual. Series 2a and 3 Optional Equipment. Try

- this is for the 2a butthe hood setup is identical. If you poke round a bit on the internet I'msure you'll find a S2a/3 optional equipment manual on line.JD

Reply to
JD

From memory, it's pretty easy - Plain hoop at the back, hoop with brackets at front brackets facing front. Bolt base of all four to rear tub using little curved brackets. If you've never fitted hoops to this vehicle before, the galv will be drilled in the tub, but not the alloy, so drill 5/16" Bolt long straight tubes between the two hoops. Bolt short hoop to centre of long straight tubes Bolt windscreen section to windscreen Bolt curved door seals to top, straight to vertical area of doors.

First time it's a bit tricky, after that it's easy.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

that all sounds right to me! it looks like a lot of bits but once you lay it out its all pretty obvious where they go!

if the kit includes all the rope hooks and loops that rivet onto the body then go have a look at someone elses before you fit them!

rivet the loops that go on the front over screen section to the overscreen bit of the sticks - not through the screen top too. this way you can leave them attached to the ragtop fittings if you decide to put a hardtop back on later. mine came unattached and i fixed them faxing downwards. came to remove the rag for the winter and had to drill out the rivets and then lost the loops!

the fixing that hold the legs down are optional! :). if you dont fit them then the ragtop itself will hold it down, and as long as the front windscreen bit is bolted down the rest of it doesnt go anywhere even once the rag is off..

Reply to
Tom Woods

I thought I'd keep it simple for the poor fellow, for his first assembly :)

If it was a woman I'd have given her all the alternative methods as I know she'd be capable of understanding it all.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Better link is

this has the Series 3optional equipment parts catalogue which should be better.JD

Reply to
JD

She'd still get it wrong.... :-)

Reply to
EMB

The Optional Equipment parts manuals are here:

You want Section 26 which is in the second part.

Reply to
Dougal

Reply to
Doug

Sorted out the frame today. I have a new canvas top to install in the morning. I bought an original LR hoop set here in the states. No instructions included. What are all the rivets for? Does the top rivet to the hoop set? I wouldn't think I'd need to do that. Please help out with any advise on all those rivets.

Reply to
Doug

does it come with all the rope hooks and loops that rivet onto the rear body? they use quite a few rivets. (3 each for each robe hook i think)

unless they intend you to rivet the front bar above the screen to the screen? bolting is nicer though.

Reply to
Tom Woods

All the ones I have seen have the bar across the top of the windscreen rivetted to the top of the windscreen (on the front face in each hook)as well as bolted. Also various hooks are rivetted on. This is shown in the Optional Equipment parts catalogue. JD

Reply to
JD

Hello all,

Can anybody help with a Series 3 hoop set and canvas install? I figured out the hoop set for the most part except for a few bits. I also need help with the tie downs for the top itself. Not sure where all those straps go. Any help with the rope tie downs will be appreciated as well. More questions to follow I'm sure. Thanks in advance for the help. Here's some pix with what I need help on.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

pic 4 - tuck the tailgate flap sides under the side double panel bit, & fasten strap both sides. This aids weatherproofing when driving forward at what passes for speed in a series. Before this, you'd have tightened the ropes at the bottom of the tail flap, to the tailgate & the two little hooks you'd have rivetted on.

pic 3 - the long straps pass under the front hoop & then back to the front windscreen seal loops. This tensions the front of the roof nicely. The short side straps - pass straps round hoop & fasten. Tuck the outside edge of the front side under the metal of the door seal. This stops water getting in & tensions sides.

Pic 2 - front straps see answer above. Rear straps - pass over hoop & take down to rear loops you've already riveted on. This strap tensions the rest of the roof, and is always tight whether or not the tailgate flap is up (or down).

Pic 1 - your top door seal is on crooked, and needs to be straightened if you're not prepared to wear waterproof clothing when driving in rain. There should be a little hook at one end of the screen seal, and an eye on the long canvas strap. Hook it over, then tighten & slip knot the other end. this stops the top coming unhooked when driving, and helps keep the tension provided by the other straps. The front corners often ride up, but this does not seem to cause leaks.

bits pic - two 'U' shaped hooks are riveted to the rear & used to tie the rear flap roof in place, near the lights. four hoops - two are used either side of tailgate on rear tub to fasten long straps - see pic2 two are used on top of windscreen seal to fasten front straps - see pic3 Two brackets on right of pic - no idea, never had them on mine :)

hth

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

And the man in question ???

Karen Gallagher

The strap on the back goes into the pocket and out through the front of it to the buckle. The bottom edge of the back is secured by a rope along the bottom through the eyelets - there should be a hook just below the pocket mentioned above to secure each end of it. It is hooked under the hooks on the tailgate and the horseshoe mentioned.

The horseshoes rivet to the back near the tail light (hoop down) for the ropes to fasten to. The flat hooks similarly on the side immediately (20mm) behind the door,

10mm below the capping, rivets to the back, point down. The four bars go horizontally two on the inside of the windscreen top bar, in line with the straps on the top, the other two just below the capping on the back in line with the straps there, just outside the tailgate catches.

Hope this helps,

JD

JD

He'd be loster than a lost thing.... ;-)

Reply to
EMB

Thanks for all the help. Got the straps figured out today. Now for the ropes securing the bottom of the canvas.

Thanks aga>

Reply to
Doug

The two brackets on the right of bits pic are pop rivetted on the sides of the rear body, level with the spot welded rope hooks, under the body capping and just behind the front doors, far enough forward to pull the front edge of the sides into the slot behind the door tops, one each side and form the front tie point for the rope that holds the sides down. They are fitted with the open ends pointing down at the front. Make sure they are in the right place before you drill the holes, the position is fairly critical to ensure the front edge of the sides is weatherproof.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily

You are suggesting there is a product/technique which will render weatherproof the sons & daughters of Solihull?

This revelation indicates strong magic.

Reply to
William Tasso