101 v8 oil change

Right i've seen mentions of oil changes on 101's and seen complicated things like priming the oil pump mentioned..

whats the deal with it?

I've now got a new filter and some new oil and want to get it into the

101 without taking anything apart and having to lie on the floor too much :) what is the correct procedure?
Reply to
Tom Woods

To avoid the possible need for dismantling the pump and priming:-

  1. Drain old oil with engine hot.
  2. Fill with fresh 20W50, nothing else! (halfords classic, castrol classic etc)
  3. Start and ensure light goes out, switch off.
  4. Pre-fill new filter to around 2/3rds, takes a bit of time.
  5. Remove old filter and replace with new.
  6. Start and ensure light goes out, idle for a minute or so then stop.
  7. Wait 5 minutes and check level.

The important thing is never to take the filter off with the sump drained or the pump will drain down and possibly not self-prime next startup. The alternative to stripping the pump and packing the gears with vaseline / petroleum jelly (NEVER grease of any kind!!) is to remove the dizzy and use a priming tool in a drill. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

thanks badger!. I had considered doing it that way but was wondering if there was a better way of doing it without leaving a filters worth of old oil in with the new. obviously not.

Does the pump emptying hold true for any rover v8 or just the 101 ones? i assume it is due to the oil filter houseing design or something?

Im pretty sure it was 20/50 i bought. It was what the book my local oil baron had under his counter recommended for a v8 RaRo of the correct vintage..

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hasn´t he just said there is ?

Drain, fill, test. Prefill new filter, replace, retest.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

I think what M8y was saying, that way the old filter contents are mixed with the nice new sumpful.

Reply to
JacobH

yeah, thats what i meant. When you drain the oil i presume the filter doesnt drain too - so as soon as you start it again the old filter oil mixes with the fresh stuff in the engine.

as an aside does anybody know what pressure the warning light comes on at?

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:01:32 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

next-to-f*ck-all, about 4 psi or somesuch[1], IIRC. they're not high-pressure engines, comes from the old yank-V8 philosophy it's based one, heavy oil and plenty of it.

oil pressure is quoted as 30-40 lb at 2400 rpm.

[1] 5.8 - 10.2 according to the book, unless it's an SD1, in which case 2.0/8.0, 2-stage thing.

angon, those are rover cars.

Rangie:

type inter spec motor early V8 50600 5.8-10.2 V8 87-on 50611 3.0-5.0

discovery as per later Rangie

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not an issue if the oil is changed on a regular basis!

Low, about 5psi. It's a low pressure/high volume system, hence the need for the correct weight of oil.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

How much oil does this thing need?

Since i've just drained/spilled around 6 litres and it was still coming im guessing quite a bit.

I'm too used to my car (3.5 litres for a full change) and only bought

5 litres, and upon checking it (after draining ofcourse!) it is not 20/50.

If i now leave it sat overnight empty (shop is now obviously closed!) is it going to need the pump priming tommorrow? (i have not touched the filter yet)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I got away with removing the oil cooler pipes and replacing them several days later... dunno how they are aranged now though.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The repair opereration manual is useless..

It tells me that the total lining surface area of my front brakes is

120 sq inch, and things like the gear ratio of my steering box but i cant find anything on oil capacity!
Reply to
Tom Woods

hmm. i might be okay then. oil pressure gauge is working now so i can see if it works after a bit of cranking i suppose

Reply to
Tom Woods

About 6.5 to 7 ltrs, I believe. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

badger is spot on (as always!) 7-8 litres.

After sitting for 8 days or so with no oil in it worked fine. It took it 2 attempts to prime after i did the oil filter though (which was well filled with fresh oil before fitting). First try it started, sounded horrible and didnt build any pressure so i cursed at it and turned it off. Tried again after 30 secs or so and it built oil pressure straight away which was nice. Took it 20-30 secs to stop sounding tappity from the back passenger side though. It now seems to run with slightly higher oil pressure than before but it might just be because it it still cold.

Reply to
Tom Woods