110 new v old?

I'm finding my 1983 110 V8 CSW a little uncomfortable (it would be nice to have effective heating, no wind whistling through the gaps in the doors, and comfortable seats) and I have been thinking about a disco (see separate post). SWMBO has other ideas and would prefer to keep the 110 - ideal for wet sailing kit & dog. How different is a later model Defender to an early

110? If I were to spend 8-10k on a Defender would I notice much difference from my somewhat down-at-heel 110? How does a modern defender diesel compared with the old de-tuned V8?

Regards

Neil

Reply to
neil

The brand new 110 has good heating and a/c plus comfy seats but still whistles around the doors, will set you back £20k + though.

Older TD5's and 300 TDis were OK in XS trim level but still not that refined IMO

Reply to
Andy

How about a Santana?

Reply to
Si K

The only thing refined in a Defender is the petrol ;)

Reply to
Nige

Ohh you bitch!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On or around Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:28:29 -0000, "Si K" enlightened us thusly:

I'd have one if I were buying new, in preference to the LR...

However... for the stated budget I could build a *really* nice 110 3.9 V8 auto :-), on a galv chassis, with new doors etc. as needed, all new seating and yes, probably aircon as well.

and yes, that does include labour.

similar money would do a TDi, I expect.

Mind, I couldn't do it right now, too much other stuff on the go which I've already promised. But in principle...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Nige writes

... apart from the occupants, you mean :-)

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

You never really appreciate the words "destination" and "arrival" until you've had the pleasure of a Landrover other than the RR's / Discos / Freelanders. My trip in my IIa is still firmly lodged in my mind.... infact if I go in to a quiet room I'm sure I can still hear the gearbox all these years later :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I know that feeling well after 1000 miles over 36 hours in a IIa with a lovely transfer box whine and no overdrive on SATs.

Reply to
EMB