110 v8 altanator

Can any one tell me what the three wires going to my altanator are for.

The small one I know goes to the charge lamp.

There are two larger brown wires. Are these connected internaly? I want to connect the output from the alt. into my split charge solid state unit.

Help.

Reply to
Tony

On or around 14 Aug 2006 10:40:54 -0700, "Tony" enlightened us thusly:

2 fat brown ones are both output wires. is this a thing with a 3-bladed plug, 2 big ones and a small one?

the little one (normally brown and yellow) actually comes FROM the no-charge light, and earths internally in the alternator through the regulator - it also supplies the voltage to excite the alternator and make it charge.

Make sure there's no possibility of the alternator running with the small wire connected and the output wires disconnected, it blows up in short order.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Tony

Thank you. The plug has three connections two large one small. I will now connect the split charge unit. I am using a large solid state split charger rated at 200A. The last relay type melted. Tony

Reply to
Tony